A prompted window about updating Windows Live Programs 2011 at Win7 Pro domain PCS RRS feed

• Question

• I face the following problem at all the newly setup Win7 Pro SP1 PCS under a domain.  The primary DC is Server 2003 R2 SP2 and the secondary is Server 2008 SP2. 

After the Win7 PCS were joined into the domain for around 2 weeks, a message box was prompted, '... Installing Windows Live Programs 2011 Updates...'.  Since all the users do not have the privilege of Administrators or Power Users, they got the message of failure to update, after clicking OK button.

However, I cannot find its availability at 'Check for updates' at Windows Updates, even if all the check boxes have been selected at the followings with 'Install updates automatically (recommended)':

1. Recommended updates,

2. Who can install updates,

3. Microsoft Update and

4. Software notifications.

Since I do not know where to launch this updating message window with 'Run As' method directly, I have to grant the local Administrators privilege for the domain users and then I have the Remote Desktop Connection to the PCS with their logon to get it updated by clicking those picture files opened by the Windows Photo Viewer.  After that, I have to log off and then remove them from the local Administrators privilege.

As there are lots of newly setup Win7 PCS and I do not know if it will be prompted in future, please help tell me how I can make it updated automatically. 

Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you want to let these domain users have rights to perform Windows Updates?

Windwos 7 has option to "Allow all users to install updates on this computer", following is the FAQ can be referred to.

Updates: frequently asked questions (How do I let all users on my computer install updates?)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Updates-frequently-asked-questions

In the meantime, you may have a try with Windows Update Agent and Windows Server Update Services.

Hope that helps.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Rulf_T Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:38 AM

All replies

• If you want the users to have it then why not push the update to the machines through a distribution system?

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:31 PM
  • Please give me more information.  Thanks!
    Friday, June 22, 2012 11:50 AM
  • Hi,

Do you want to let these domain users have rights to perform Windows Updates?

Windwos 7 has option to "Allow all users to install updates on this computer", following is the FAQ can be referred to.

Updates: frequently asked questions (How do I let all users on my computer install updates?)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Updates-frequently-asked-questions

In the meantime, you may have a try with Windows Update Agent and Windows Server Update Services.

Hope that helps.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Rulf_T Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:38 AM
  • Thank you!
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:00 AM