The page can't be displayed error on most websites RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I've been experiencing difficulties with my web browser (Internet Explorer 10) in which it doesn't display most websites. It can do google.co.uk but not google.com. This also happens when I try it in Google Chrome, I get this error:

"We could not display the webpage because it took too long to respond."

Error code: ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

I don't think this is to do with the router as I can use another device to connect to it and it works wirelessly, too. I forgot to mention this is a wireless network connection.

I also ran the Network Troubleshooter and it mentioned the network cable may be broken and damaged.

Could you please help me solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

---- JDS404 ---- Check out my blog at www.interlinkjds.wordpress.com!

Sunday, August 3, 2014 8:22 AM

Answers

• Did you purchase the computer in December 2013 or December 2012?

Does your answer to #2 ("One-year") mean that you're using a one-year free-trial or that you've purchased a one-year subscription?

Again, which software is supposedly incompatible?

Why can't you temporarily move the Desktop PC to the next room?

Does the modem/router belong to you or...?

[I'm asking very specific questions but you're not giving me specific answers. This is wasting my time and yours.]

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

1. December 2013

2. Purchased one-year straight after 30-day free trial - which ended around the 10 Jan 2014.

3. Microsoft 2000 - I'm waiting to update to 2013 soon.

4. There's limited power supply for the PC in the other room and I'm not going to go to all the trouble just to see if it works - I imagine it mightn't do as when I ran a troubleshooter it said the network cable may be broken.

5. It belongs to me.

If it did work with a wired connection, what would be the problem?

Thanks, but your helped isn't needed anymore.

I tried doing a process involving IP Addresses and that seemed to work for now.

Thanks everyone for all your continued support!

• Marked as answer by JDS404 Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:33 PM
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:33 PM

All replies

• And your full Windows version would be...?

Does the behavior persist when the computer's connected directly to the modem or router?

=========================================
    You will find Consumer-specific support for Internet Explorer by beginning your own, new thread in the appropriate forum here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Sunday, August 3, 2014 9:55 PM
  • And your full Windows version would be...?

Does the behavior persist when the computer's connected directly to the modem or router?

=========================================
    You will find Consumer-specific support for Internet Explorer by beginning your own, new thread in the appropriate forum here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie

I'm on Windows 8 x64 bit. I can't connect it to the router as it's plugged in to a phone line and it's a desktop PC. But I tried a different device from that range and it worked perfectly.

Hope that helped.

• Edited by JDS404 Monday, August 4, 2014 7:32 AM
    Monday, August 4, 2014 7:32 AM
  • can do google.co.uk but not google.com.

Sounds like a slow DNS.  Try using a different DNS?  8.8.8.8 (Google's, for example.)

BTW if you are trying to get to  www.google.com  you should use that explicitly, including a protocol prefix or the timing may be different.   It will certainly be different if you try to enter just  google.com with no host specifier and no protocol prefix.  You can use the Developer Tools, Network capture (F12, Ctrl-4, F5) to see if you are getting as far as a redirect but a full TCP packet trace, such as NetMon or WireShark, would be best to capture the timing of the lookups.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, August 4, 2014 2:20 PM
    Answerer
  • can do google.co.uk but not google.com.

Sounds like a slow DNS.  Try using a different DNS?  8.8.8.8 (Google's, for example.)

BTW if you are trying to get to  www.google.com  you should use that explicitly, including a protocol prefix or the timing may be different.   It will certainly be different if you try to enter just  google.com with no host specifier and no protocol prefix.  You can use the Developer Tools, Network capture (F12, Ctrl-4, F5) to see if you are getting as far as a redirect but a full TCP packet trace, such as NetMon or WireShark, would be best to capture the timing of the lookups.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

I tried a different DNS - but maybe I'm changing the settings wrongly. Could you simply explain how to change my DNS for a wireless connection?

Alternatively, would you be able to suggest anything different?

Thanks for your continued support.

Monday, August 4, 2014 4:31 PM
  •  Could you simply explain how to change my DNS for a wireless connection?

Not really.  It depends on your hardware configuration.  If you use  nslookup  without operands (e.g. in a cmd window) and see DNS addresses which start with  192.168  you can be sure that you need to find a local device which is doing that.  E.g. if you have a modem which acts as a local DNS you could use its Admin panel to change that.  Your ISP might help you with that.  Alternatively, you could do it via an override of the Interface's Properties.  You don't even need to do that (GUI method) though.  For example, I once did it with  Netsh.  Here's the help command for that

C:\>netsh i i se dn /?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, August 4, 2014 5:19 PM
    Answerer
  • I don't think this is to do with the router as I can use another device to connect to it and it works wirelessly, too. I forgot to mention this is a wireless network connection.

I'm on Windows 8 x64 bit. I can't connect it to the router as it's plugged in to a phone line and it's a desktop PC.

If you have an ADSL connection, you have a modem/router combination that "plugs in to a phone line."

You can connect the Desktop PC to the modem/router via a network cable (i.e., not wirelessly).

• Phone line <=cable=> Modem/Router <=cable=> Desktop PC

Does the behavior persist when the Desktop PC's connected directly to the modem/router?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You'd be much better off posting in the Consumer-specific networking forum => http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking

Monday, August 4, 2014 6:32 PM
  • I don't think this is to do with the router as I can use another device to connect to it and it works wirelessly, too. I forgot to mention this is a wireless network connection.

I'm on Windows 8 x64 bit. I can't connect it to the router as it's plugged in to a phone line and it's a desktop PC.

If you have an ADSL connection, you have a modem/router combination that "plugs in to a phone line."

You can connect the Desktop PC to the modem/router via a network cable (i.e., not wirelessly).

• Phone line <=cable=> Modem/Router <=cable=> Desktop PC

Does the behavior persist when the Desktop PC's connected directly to the modem/router?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You'd be much better off posting in the Consumer-specific networking forum => http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking

What my point is - they're in two separate rooms and about 5-6 metres apart. So, this isn't possible.

Thanks anyway - is there anything else you suggest?

Monday, August 4, 2014 6:48 PM
  • Temporarily take the Desktop PC to the other room, connect it directly to the modem/router & see if the behavior persists.

Doesn't matter if you're not seeing the behavior on other devices. The fact that the you're seeing the behavior when using IE10 and Chrome on the Desktop PC tells us that it's a networking problem, not a browser problem. That's why I suggested posting in a networking-specific forum.

That being said, answer-by-number in your next reply:

1. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE!] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

2. What Update Version & KB number are displayed in the second line of text in IE10's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab; e.g., Update Version: 10.0.54 (KB1231231) ?

3. Has Windows 8.1 ever been offered to the computer via the Windows Store?

4. Are you able to access your Outlook.com account via IE10?

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:03 PM
  • Temporarily take the Desktop PC to the other room, connect it directly to the modem/router & see if the behavior persists.

Doesn't matter if you're not seeing the behavior on other devices. The fact that the you're seeing the behavior when using IE10 and Chrome on the Desktop PC tells us that it's a networking problem, not a browser problem. That's why I suggested posting in a networking-specific forum.

That being said, answer-by-number in your next reply:

1. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE!] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

2. What Update Version & KB number are displayed in the second line of text in IE10's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab; e.g., Update Version: 10.0.54 (KB1231231) ?

3. Has Windows 8.1 ever been offered to the computer via the Windows Store?

4. Are you able to access your Outlook.com account via IE10?

1. McAfee free-trial

2. 10.0.18 (KB2962872)

3. Yes

4. No, but I was able to before this problem.

Thanks for your continued support - hope this helped.

Monday, August 4, 2014 8:51 PM
  • 1. What is the full name of your currenty-installed third-party anti-virus application or security suite (i.e., not Windows Defender!), if any, and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire?

2. What third-party anti-malware applications (i.e., not Windows Defender!) are installed, if any?  What third-party firewall, if any?

3. Did you activate (use) the McAfee free-trial?

• Fact: McAfee (and Norton) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly. The "leftovers" may be your troublemaker here.

4. Did your problems start after you installed KB2962872 on or shortly after 08 July 2014?

5. Is there any particular reason you haven't installed Windows 8.1 yet?
    Monday, August 4, 2014 11:57 PM
  • 1. What is the full name of your currenty-installed third-party anti-virus application or security suite (i.e., not Windows Defender!), if any, and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire?

2. What third-party anti-malware applications (i.e., not Windows Defender!) are installed, if any?  What third-party firewall, if any?

3. Did you activate (use) the McAfee free-trial?

• Fact: McAfee (and Norton) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly. The "leftovers" may be your troublemaker here.

4. Did your problems start after you installed KB2962872 on or shortly after 08 July 2014?

5. Is there any particular reason you haven't installed Windows 8.1 yet?

1. McAfee LiveSafe Anti-Virus (exp. Jan 2015)

2. None

3. Yes

4. Yes, web-pages became slower after around that date.

5. Compatibility issues with software on my computer.

Hope that helped.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 9:13 AM
  • 1. When (exact date, preferably) did you purchase the computer?

2. Have you purchased a McAfee LiveSafe subscription or is it still the original (30-day? 90-day? one-year?) free-trial version?

3. What software do you believe might be incompatible with Win8.1?

4. Have you tried moving the computer to the other room and connecting it directly to the modem/router?

5. Is the wall between the two rooms made of stone?

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 4:58 PM
  • 1. When (exact date, preferably) did you purchase the computer?

2. Have you purchased a McAfee LiveSafe subscription or is it still the original (30-day? 90-day? one-year?) free-trial version?

3. What software do you believe might be incompatible with Win8.1?

4. Have you tried moving the computer to the other room and connecting it directly to the modem/router?

5. Is the wall between the two rooms made of stone?

1. 10 December

2. One-year

3. I ran the compatibility checker and I found some software was incompatible. But I am thinking of updating it soon.

4. I can't.

5. No

Hope that helped again.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 7:52 AM

Does your answer to #2 ("One-year") mean that you're using a one-year free-trial or that you've purchased a one-year subscription?

[I'm asking very specific questions but you're not giving me specific answers. This is wasting my time and yours.]

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 4:52 PM

1. December 2013

2. Purchased one-year straight after 30-day free trial - which ended around the 10 Jan 2014.

4. There's limited power supply for the PC in the other room and I'm not going to go to all the trouble just to see if it works - I imagine it mightn't do as when I ran a troubleshooter it said the network cable may be broken.

5. It belongs to me.

Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:22 AM
  • Hi

I am in agreement with Robear here

here are my suggestions

• do a Ping and a Trace-route to the Gateway(Routers IP) from both machine
    • check the default gateway on the specific connection on the faulty machine.
    • duplicate the settings from one machine to the other just change the ip address +1 i.e 192.168.1.5 make this 192.168.1.6 on the other machine.
    • check the router to see if the DHCP pool is not maybe full (if applicable)
    • check wireless signal strength
    • Go the Manage is windows and look for a more recent update online for the Wireless adapter.
    • get a 10M lan cable and run directly to the router since you will not be moving the machine.

hope this helps.

Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:37 AM

1. December 2013

5. It belongs to me.

Thanks, but your helped isn't needed anymore.

I tried doing a process involving IP Addresses and that seemed to work for now.

Thanks everyone for all your continued support!

• Marked as answer by JDS404 Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:33 PM
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:33 PM
  • Very good.

Next time you need assistance with an IE problem, post in the Home User-specific forum instead: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie

Thursday, August 7, 2014 2:39 PM
  • Download google Chrome,FireFox,safari,opera,Tor browser You can chose one of them and See...... go to the google website that works and do a google search.... or it may be malware/Virus run a scan with malware bytes or hitman pro a Malwarebyets.org surfright.nl and if you want to keep those Do a google search of Malware bytes Product key or hit man pro product key 99% chances are of them being pirated....
    • Proposed as answer by MrSwagMan111 Friday, August 8, 2014 5:14 AM
    Friday, August 8, 2014 5:14 AM