Error creating config DB in SharePoint 2010 foundation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to configure SharePoint 2010 foundation in a Windows 2008 x64 SP1 server and I'm getting the following error.

06/04/2010 12:08:41  9  INF                    Using NTLM for sql connection string
    06/04/2010 12:08:41  9  INF                    Creating a new farm with config db SharePoint_Config content db SharePoint_AdminContent_8ee3e8ad-af84-41e2-8584-6ebcf96cc4d2 server AIDE01-017 for farm mode
    06/04/2010 12:08:41  1  INF                    Not running in high contrast, so we will paint the background with our trademarked image
    06/04/2010 12:08:41  1  INF                    Not running in high contrast, so we will paint the background with our trademarked image
    06/04/2010 12:09:07  9  ERR                    Task configdb has failed with an unknown exception
    06/04/2010 12:09:07  9  ERR                    Exception: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The password supplied with the username BELL\development_kstore was not correct. Verify that it was entered correctly and try again.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.ValidateLogonAccount(String& username, SecureString password)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPManagedAccount.SetPassword(SecureString value)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPProcessIdentity.SetPassword(SecureString value)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPApplicationPool..ctor(String name, SPWebService service)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebApplication.CreateDefaultInstance(SPWebService service, Guid id, String applicationPoolId, SPProcessAccount processAccount, String iisServerComment, Boolean secureSocketsLayer, String iisHostHeader, Int32 iisPort, Boolean iisAllowAnonymous, DirectoryInfo iisRootDirectory, Uri defaultZoneUri, Boolean iisEnsureNTLM, Boolean createDatabase, String databaseServer, String databaseName, String databaseUsername, String databasePassword, SPSearchServiceInstance searchServiceInstance, Boolean autoActivateFeatures)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebApplication.CreateDefaultInstance(SPWebService service, Guid id, String applicationPoolId, IdentityType identityType, String applicationPoolUsername, SecureString applicationPoolPassword, String iisServerComment, Boolean secureSocketsLayer, String iisHostHeader, Int32 iisPort, Boolean iisAllowAnonymous, DirectoryInfo iisRootDirectory, Uri defaultZoneUri, Boolean iisEnsureNTLM, Boolean createDatabase, String databaseServer, String databaseName, String databaseUsername, String databasePassword, SPSearchServiceInstance searchServiceInstance, Boolean autoActivateFeatures)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPAdministrationWebApplication.CreateDefaultInstance(SqlConnectionStringBuilder administrationContentDatabase, SPWebService adminService, IdentityType identityType, String farmUser, SecureString farmPassword)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.CreateAdministrationWebService(SqlConnectionStringBuilder administrationContentDatabase, IdentityType identityType, String farmUser, SecureString farmPassword)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.CreateBasicServices(SqlConnectionStringBuilder administrationContentDatabase, IdentityType identityType, String farmUser, SecureString farmPassword)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.Create(SqlConnectionStringBuilder configurationDatabase, SqlConnectionStringBuilder administrationContentDatabase, IdentityType identityType, String farmUser, SecureString farmPassword, SecureString masterPassphrase)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.Create(SqlConnectionStringBuilder configurationDatabase, SqlConnectionStringBuilder administrationContentDatabase, String farmUser, SecureString farmPassword, SecureString masterPassphrase)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.CreateOrConnectConfigDb()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.Run()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

I made sure that the password supplied was correct. Can it have something to do with the NTLM authentication?

Help!

thanks! :)

Sandra

Friday, June 4, 2010 5:47 PM

All replies

• Wierd...can you use that login to create and alter a different scratch db or create a new scratch table in the database?  i.e. does it have enough to alter the database?
    Friday, June 4, 2010 6:04 PM
  • Yes, I'm able to do everything with that login....

I think it may be related to having had beta before and I didn't uninstall geneva. I just uninstalled framework again and WIF and Geneva and will try to run the prereq installer again and the configuration wizard. I'll let you know if that fixes it.

Friday, June 4, 2010 6:11 PM
  • I'm thinking I ran into a similar error a year or two ago...googled the error and this came up; different but similar problem that I know I dealt with on moss...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointsearch/thread/ee078dac-f669-4cd5-919d-cfb071420023

might be you are on the right track...haven't had any farm level password change problems in awhile...

Friday, June 4, 2010 7:06 PM
  • Well, I uninstalled all the pre-reqs and still got the same error.....

After that, I tried with my own username and password, and it got past this point, but later it threw another exception while trying to create the central admin "The specified path already exists"

so I went and removed all sites and app pools manually...... and I tried it again but this time I logged in to the server with the same user ID that I would use as the user to create the DBs

and it worked.

I don't know what or what combination of events actually fixed the thing but it finally completed.... so I guess if you had a previous version and you uninstalled it you may want to take a look at all your web sites and app pools and remove them as the uninstaller doesn't do it, and the next installation will want to create the same ones.

I don't know if remotely connecting to the server with the same user that I would use in the installation had any impact or not.

Monday, June 7, 2010 3:31 PM
  • This is exactly what I needed to know.  I had to delete the SP created App Pools in IIS.  I was getting this error, too.  

Here's why:

• I had to restart an installation of Sharepoint Products Configuration Wizard because the Service Account that was created for me did not have dbo privileges on the SQL Server -- it needed the highest permissions in order to modify the SP database it creates.
    • I changed the password of the Service Account because it gave me an error because it had a % (percent) in it (probably a security thing).
    • The SP App Pools that were left over from the last installation probably do some caching on the old password.  I'm guessing the Configuration Wizard doesn't delete them if they are already created with the same account.  Either way, deleting them worked.
    • I'm not sure if it matters whether you actually connect with the same Service Account (user), but that's what I did.  I think that it shouldn't because it is using the password.
    Thanks!
    Joe

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Hi,

I too faced the same problem and solved the same by doing the below

1) Delete "Sharepoint Central Administration v4" from Application Pool

2) Open Computer Management (Windows 2008 Server)\System Tools\Local Users and Groups\Groups and the 'Domain User\Local User' to the following

a) IIS_IUSRS

b) SQLServerFDHostUser$<MachineName>$<MSSQLSERVERInstance>

c) SQLServerMSASUser$<MachineName>$<MSSQLSERVERInstance>

d) SQLServerMSSQLUser$<MachineName>$<MSSQLSERVERInstance>

e) SQLServerSQLAgentUser$<MachineName>$<MSSQLSERVERInstance>

f) WSS_ADMIN_WPG

g) WSS_RESTRICTED_WPG_V4

h) WSS_WPG

3) Re-Run the SharePoint Configuration wizard

Friday, January 14, 2011 7:12 AM