Event IDs 1, 18, 42 over and over RRS feed

• Question

• A Windows 7 Pro machine has had the KB3035583 uninstalled.  The c:\$Windows.~BT had been deleted.  The machine still continues to download the Windows 10 install (i.e. recreates the c:\$Windows.~BT) and wakes the machine up every few minutes adding an Event ID 18 to the System log.

Event ID 18

Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on ‎Friday, ‎September ‎11, ‎2015 at 4:55 AM:

- Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Now the machine can't be hibernated it appears according to the log.  Here is a snippet of the activity to show the repetition:

9-11-2015 04:00:17 AM - Event ID 42 - The system is entering sleep.

9-11-2015 04:05:28 AM - Event ID 1 - The system time has changed...

9-11-2015 04:05:33 AM - Event ID 1 - The system has resumed from sleep.

9-11-2015 04:05:33 AM - Event ID 18 -

Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on ‎Friday, ‎September ‎11, ‎2015 at 4:15 AM:
    - Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

9-11-2015 04:10:17 AM - Event ID 42 - The system is entering sleep.

Five minutes later ------ REPEAT ----

9-11-2015 04:15:29 AM - Event ID 1 - The system time has changed...

9-11-2015 04:15:34 AM - Event ID 1 - The system has resumed from sleep.

blah blah blah

How do I make it stop?  This machine will be staying on Windows 7 until a later date when it will be paved with a fresh Windows 10.

May we all make money in the sequel.

Friday, September 11, 2015 12:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for delay.

Your computer is set to automatically install updates at a specific time of day, you can go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\Change settings and change it to a time to suit you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 12, 2015 1:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

It seems that Windows be woken up by schedule named "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro".
    Please open Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools and open Task Scheduler, then check name in "Task Schedule Library". If you find it, delete it.

Then run the Disk Clean up tool and select the Clean up system files after the initial scan. Select the Temporary installation files for deletion.
    Once they are removed reboot your system and then check for Windows Updates once again. Once the system has restarted check for updates once again and if KB3035583 or an offer to get the Windows 10 Upgrade show up then hide those updates by right clicking on each one of them and selecting Hide updates.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang

Monday, September 14, 2015 10:26 AM
  • There is not a scheduled task by the name "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro" or any variant thereof.

Ran disk cleanup and selected system files and temporary installation files which did remove the c:\$Windows.~BT directory.  System restart was as normal.  Check for Windows Updates did not show any new updates.

While the machine has not redownloaded the c:\$Windows.~BT directory it does continue to show the update shield on the start->shutdown and if hibernated it does continue to go through the same sleep wake sleep wake cycle.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 1:22 AM
  • Hi,

For your question, do you recheck Windows Update after restart Windows? If yes, please hide KB3035583 and the Windows 10 Upgrade when it is offered so they will not start again. Also, change Windows Update setting to "Check for Update but let me know choose whether to download and install them".

If previous issue persists, please try steps in link below:
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/prevent-windows-10-upgrade-installing-after-making-your-reservation

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Allen Wang

Friday, September 18, 2015 1:54 AM
  • Yes, the Windows Update was rechecked again after the reboot. It did not offer KB3035583.  KB3035583 continues to show in the hidden updates listing. Is there a way to backtrack from the shield shown logic on the shutdown button to the update that it thinks it needs to apply?

Friday, September 18, 2015 12:12 PM
  • Hi,

Do you means that it remain show the update shield on shutdown button, however it's no updates need to install?

If Windows install updates and need to restart, it will show the update shield on shutdown button, then we need to restart to complete installation.

If it's no need to restart with updates, please try to restore all hidden updates, install all update then restart computer. Then check the update shield on shutdown button, if it disappear, then uninstall KB3035583 and restart to hidden.

Allen Wang

Monday, September 21, 2015 1:46 AM
  • Hi,

Do you means that it remain show the update shield on shutdown button, however it's no updates need to install?

Yes.

Did the following and now the update shield no longer shows on the shutdown button but the same wake/sleep repetition occurred all night:

1.  Booted up fresh (noted that shutdown button shows the update shield).

2.  Restored hidden update KB3035583.

3.  Installed update KB3035583 (noted that shutdown button shows the update shield).  It did not require a restart but did a shutdown to be sure.

4.  Booted up fresh (noted that shutdown button does NOT show the update shield).

5.  Uninstalled KB3035583 and chose to Restart Now.  Upon reboot (noted that shutdown button does NOT show the update shield).

6.  Rechecked for updates and hid KB3035583.

7.  Ran Disk Cleanup for system files/temp windows install files.

I worked the rest of the day and periodically checked the shutdown button and noted that the update shield never showed again.  The machine was hibernated.  This morning I checked the event logs and found that the machine did the wake/sleep throughout the night.

EDIT: Amended behavior.  Event IDs 1 and 42 repeated.  Event ID 18 was not in the new behavior.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 12:16 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks for your updates, is there any other event log generate when system wake up?

Please run CMD with administrator, run "powercfg -lastwake" to identify the event or device that is responsible for the last waking process. Once the results are shown, check the “Instance Path:” to see where it originated from (the USB or PCI port for instance) and look under “Type:” for the nature of the cause, typically a device or a wake timer. You can collect screenshot and post here for further troubleshooting.

Allen Wang

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 1:50 AM
  • System Log sequence is
    Event ID 42

The system is entering sleep

Sleep Reason: System Idle

Event ID 7042

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service was successfully sent a stop control.

The reason specified was: 0x40030011 [Operating System: Network Connectivity (Planned)]

Comment: None

Event ID 7036

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service entered the stopped state.

Event ID 1

The system time has changed to ‎2015‎-‎09‎-‎30T11:26:29.500000000Z from ‎2015‎-‎09‎-‎30T11:21:19.746118600Z.

Event ID 1

The system has resumed from sleep.

Sleep Time: ‎2015‎-‎09‎-‎30T11:21:18.076915600Z
      Wake Time: ‎2015‎-‎09‎-‎30T11:26:29.968000800Z

Wake Source: Timer - svchost.exe

Event ID 7036

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service entered the running state.

Event ID 7036

The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service entered the stopped state.

The sequence above repeats.

Output of powercfg -lastwake is ...

Wake History Count - 1

Wake History [0]

Wake Source Count - 1

Wake Source [0]

Type: Wake Timer

Owner: [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (wuauserv)

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 11:57 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for delay.

Your computer is set to automatically install updates at a specific time of day, you can go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\Change settings and change it to a time to suit you.

Allen Wang

Monday, October 12, 2015 1:43 AM
  • The setting was set to the default of

"Install updates automatically (recommended)"

Install new updates: Every day at 3:00 AM

Not sure why it would wake up every 4 or 5 minutes to check for updates then go to sleep after 6 or 7 minutes then repeat.

I'll just pave the machine.

Thanks for the info along the way as I did learn some things.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 12:47 PM
  • did you ever get this issue resolved? this has JUST come up for me in the past 3 days, i put the system to sleep, it wakes up some time later (usually 0minutes to about 14 minutes) is awake for 120 seconds goes back to sleep for 15.. wakes up again.. 120seconds awake back to sleep.. over and over and over and over and over.. and it is the same stupid windows update schedule waking it, AND the windowsupdate.log showed that "ready to upgrade to windows 10 pro" crap.. pretty much 100% what you are experiencing, i will try your fix for getting rid of the shield, noticed that yesterday while trying to solve this, however i moved the kb update and rebooted and shield stayed, but will try to re-create your process..

if i come up with a solution i will post a reply with the steps here, but honestly the 2 lines of thinking here are EXACTLY the same steps i have taken already.. (double checked that kb/removed system updates with disk clean up.. etc etc..) however you can check the windowsupdate.log still SEE when it wants to attempt to update again and if you sleep it before that, it will wakeup RIGHT on time to.. do nothing again.. :)

*************** updated a few hours later ******************

ok after a few more hours of work i stumbled over something that fixed it.. It is actually a microsoft "tool" to fix problems with windows update.. here is the link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

ran this and it listed 1 item as "not fixed" (the failed update messages in the event log for trying to update to windows 10) however it listed 3 or 4 other things it did fix, after a reboot, shield is gone, no more update spam, and i will see if my system decides to stay asleep all night (i suspect it will, considering the update spam is gone in the event log)

i also dug a bit deeper into what caused this, KB 3035583 is the windows 7 update that loads the stupid windows 10 adware crap for bugging you to update, i knew this back in may or so, and went and "disabled" that patch, well somehow oct 14th it installed anyways (searched the update history), i didn't see the popup's or adware get installed however that KB did.. suddenly oct 24th i see the flood in my event log of windows 10 failing to update, and come to find out i even downloaded windows 10 on my system (was like a $win something directory on the root of the C), this was ALL without me accepting ANYTHING and after even having disabled that one update MONTHS ago, i figured this was odd so i googled some and came across this :(  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/10/windows_10_forced_download/ wow that is AWESOME of microcrap! even as a domain system i (and i am scared now) all my other systems have been happily downloading windows 10... I will check out a few of my other windows 7 systems that i 'admin' for and see if that KB was also randomly re-enabled and downloaded, and if they also downloaded windows 10, eating up 3gigs of storage and bandwidth(for each system! woo!)

This is beyond frustrating, however not unexpected considering microsoft wants to sell you a yearly license for windows 10 last a heard *rolls eyes*, however if my system was not a fluke and this starts happening to everyone, i suspect there are going to be a few million angry win7 users (and perhaps even win 8/8.1).. though so far this post is the ONLY other example of this i could find in days of searching...

• Edited by gomfedj Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:14 AM updated info/fixed
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:51 AM
  • I have not found the root trigger for why the machine continues the wake/sleep cycle.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 2:10 PM
  • Well now the machine isn't exhibiting the same behavior. It actually hibernates all night now.  I've been watching it for a few nights now to make sure.  For a couple of weeks I shutdown the machine instead.  This week I decided to see how it was doing after reading

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/10/29/making-it-easier-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/

Head scratching.  Not sure the root problem will be found.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 12:53 PM