none
Strange problem - app install failed randomly - OSD SCCM 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have this problem for a few weeks and despite various test the problem persists. I hope the community can help me on this problem.

Problem : During TS New computer Win 7 x64 or X86 OSD, app failed to install randomly. Some example : on the same model, morning OSD test, all app located on TS will be installed, then test the afternoon and no application is here. Sometimes, it works during 4 days and after doesn't work during 1 week / 2 day, it's very randomly. Problem is here for all models.

Test made :

• Add reboot step in TS just before install app > Not ok
    • Change deployment option app TS to : "Download content and run locally" > Not ok
    • Add following properties to the client agent in TS : SMSMP=SCCMSRV.domain.lan DNSSUFIX=Domain.lan > Not ok
    • Enable anonymous mode > Not ok

Informations :

• App concerned : Adobe flash, google chrome etc...
    • Domain integration : OK
    • App installation tested across software center : OK
    • Account service for distribution app : OK

Some errors that i've notice :

• Policy Evaluation failed, hr=0x80004005 (smsts.log)
    • Install application failed: 'Adobe Shockware Player'. Error Code 0x80004005 InstallApplication (smsts.log)
    • Policy prevents failover to WINS for lookup (LocationServices.log)
    • Error sending HEAD request. HTTP code 401, status 'Unauthorized' (LocationServices.log)
    • No error in AppEnforce.log

Do you have an idea ? Thank you in advance.

• Edited by TixTix Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:38 PM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:37 PM

Answers

• Try adding a 60 second pause in your Task Sequence before your install applications step in your TS. I've found that when you have hardware with SDD's, the install application step can fail as the drive is so fast. At the very least it can result in unreliable results.

I'm assuming that when your TS fails (randomly as you have specified), it fails at the very first application.

• Proposed as answer by Damon. Johns Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by TixTix Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:46 PM
    Friday, May 9, 2014 11:09 AM
  • Finally the pause Works and all app was installed after 8 test on different models.

For my case I following this order :

- 1 Before install app: Put a pause (3m) with this script 

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Wscript.Sleep 180000

And this command line : %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\wscript.exe Pause_TS_3m.vbs

- 2 Then put a pause ( about 30s) before each app with a run command line ping :

cmd.exe /c "ping -n 30 localhost" > NUL

As Damon A. Johns say "At the very least it can result in unreliable results."

Well I hope i'll find a reliable solution, thanks a lot all for help me it was a long time to test.

These topic help me :

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/221bcfe8-4c1e-4766-be5b-fbf54fe0e66c/specific-model-suddenly-fails-on-any-application-install-packages-work-fine?forum=configmanagerosd

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/17cc2c51-2769-4a43-b456-570373b24643/pausing-the-sccm-osd-task-sequence?forum=configmgrosd

• Marked as answer by TixTix Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:03 PM
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:03 PM

All replies

• It could be triggered by the reboot behavior of the applications. I've seen it often that after a restart the next application fails to install (mainly in combination with SSD drives). To work around that issue the task sequence variable SMSTSMPListRequestTimeout is introduced.

This variable specifies how much time a task sequence waits before it retries to install an application after it fails to retrieve the management point list from location services (see also: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh273375.aspx).

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:48 PM
  • Thanks Peter for answer, explaination and link,
    In fact model concerned contain SSD drives but Hard Drive too.
    SMSTSMPListRequestTimeout, i set 300. I'll give feedback after test !

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 2:48 PM
  • Hi, 

After testing, the problem isn't solved.
    Another idee to test ? It would be highly appreciated!
    Friday, May 9, 2014 7:57 AM
  • Try adding a 60 second pause in your Task Sequence before your install applications step in your TS. I've found that when you have hardware with SDD's, the install application step can fail as the drive is so fast. At the very least it can result in unreliable results.

I'm assuming that when your TS fails (randomly as you have specified), it fails at the very first application.

• Proposed as answer by Damon. Johns Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by TixTix Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:46 PM
    Friday, May 9, 2014 11:09 AM
  • Thanks for idea Johns, i'll try ! Best way for pause ? By script ? I'll give feedback after trying.

I never thought that the speed of the SSD can be a problem because I also have the problem with hard drive (but in fact maybe less time),

About App install fail randomly, you guessed it. When it tries to install it, nothing happens during 1 minute, then all other applications that follow are skip fast enough (about 4s).

Friday, May 9, 2014 12:43 PM
  • I didn't realize that you had normal spindle disks also with the failure. So this may not resolve the problem - easiest way to add a pause is by using a run command line step in your TS with a ping command for the required amount of time.

If you post your smsts.log from a build that fails, it may help others and myself on this forum to diagnose the fault.

Friday, May 9, 2014 9:23 PM
  • After some test on this monday, the problem sems to be solved with a pause. I put the pause before install the app.

Firstly, i try with this command : 

%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\cmd.exe /k ping 127.0.0.1 -n 100
    But the TS has never continued.

Finaly, I use this script find in another topic  : 

filespec = "C:\go.txt"
    'Check every 1 second to see if the file exists
    While Not fso.FileExists(filespec)
     Wscript.Sleep 1000
    Wend
    'When it does exist, delete it and go on
    fso.DeleteFile(filespec)

Being rather random, I'll continue the test on all model and give feedback before "Mark as answer"Thanks for help, if it was that it helped me a lot :)

Monday, May 12, 2014 12:07 PM
  • Hi,

Being rather random, I'll continue the test on all model and give feedback wednesday or thuesday! After that i'll mark as answer if it work. Thanks.

Regards.

Monday, May 12, 2014 12:11 PM
  • Finally, the problem isn't solved after a pause (2m) correctly executed, some app didn't install... But, different informations appears in log.
    I put now 2 smsts-date.log, one with NO pause, on WITH pause (I've rename sccm srv, dp and domain in the log)

Here two log : http://ge.tt/6yDzbvg1/v/0?c

Could you check ? Thanks in advance,

I can add that if i add this information in configuration client sccm R2 in TS it works :
    SMSMP=DISTRIBUTION_POINT65.DOMAIN.COM

It's look like sometimes, the client can't know which DP he must reach.

TixTix.

• Edited by TixTix Monday, May 12, 2014 4:16 PM
    Monday, May 12, 2014 4:14 PM
  • smsmp is used to specifiy the MP, not DP!

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, May 12, 2014 4:48 PM
  • Yes for sure, but I've tried both and it works only with specify smsmp = dp.lan...
    Well, isn't important because this option mustn't be in TS, it was just for test (because, i thinked that randomly, client can't receive his policy).
    Someone find something in log ?

Monday, May 12, 2014 10:41 PM
  • How are your bounderies doing? Are they all properly described and linked to desired DPs? I would use IP ranges to make sure.

I also have unsolved random application failures in OSD. Worst case was, that msi-packaged app didn´t even log any errors, it just did not installed itself randomly. I´ve being testin CM12 since RC1, and during that version Microsoft even wrote at Q&A, that applications should be deployed after TS run, as a desktop deployment. I know that some MVPs still thinks like this.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:31 AM
  • One thing you can do, is uninstall the client from one of the problematic PCs and then reinstall the client and then try as a test to the deploy the software and see does it install.

I had this before and when I reinstall the client it resolves the problem.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:34 AM
  • Thanks for answer, boundaries is based on Active Directory site and the good Distribution Point is mentioned for each boundaries. Ok, I'll try with IP address range for one DP.

Ok so you advice me that the easiest is to install these app on Desktop environnement. Do I try to do an auto logon on Windows during the TS then put the app install after ?

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:11 AM
  • Thanks for answer James, the deployment of app works via Software Center as i mentioned at the first post :

• App installation tested across software center : OK

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:13 AM
  • Hey Tix, do you have continue on error option enabled during the problematic apps or not?

I suggest you make the fallowing:
    1. Tick off continue on error, that your TS deployment will stop if error occures.
    2. This way you will get old smsts.log with current events. You might find the real reason there. Thing is that smsts.log is flushed empty if TS continues or Computer reboots after error.
    3. Review appenforce.log, it usually logs any Application install actions and failures.
    4. Event viewer might reveal you the reason if the msi installer process itself fails for some reason.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 1:47 PM
  • Hi Yannara, thanks for your answer.

Yes option "continue on error" is enabled.

Thanks for advice but I Already done this step and post my 2 smsts.log in this topic.

Here two log : http://ge.tt/6yDzbvg1/v/0?c

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:48 PM
  • Finally the pause Works and all app was installed after 8 test on different models.

For my case I following this order :

- 1 Before install app: Put a pause (3m) with this script 

Wscript.Sleep 180000

And this command line : %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\wscript.exe Pause_TS_3m.vbs

- 2 Then put a pause ( about 30s) before each app with a run command line ping :

cmd.exe /c "ping -n 30 localhost" > NUL

As Damon A. Johns say "At the very least it can result in unreliable results."

Well I hope i'll find a reliable solution, thanks a lot all for help me it was a long time to test.

These topic help me :

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/221bcfe8-4c1e-4766-be5b-fbf54fe0e66c/specific-model-suddenly-fails-on-any-application-install-packages-work-fine?forum=configmanagerosd

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/17cc2c51-2769-4a43-b456-570373b24643/pausing-the-sccm-osd-task-sequence?forum=configmgrosd

• Marked as answer by TixTix Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:03 PM
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:03 PM
  • 2 years after, does this problem (concerning device with ssd) is solved now from a KB?
    We have a client that will use SCCM 2012 with a lot of TS that will install applications. Scared !
    Monday, February 29, 2016 5:38 PM