computer only runs if i disable driver signature enforcement RRS feed

• Question

• Alright, so here's my story. About a week or two ago I was simply browsing the internet on Firefox and I got the blue screen of death. I wish I could've saved the error message somehow but I remember seeing the words "HardError" and a bunch of 0's. At first I thought it was nothing, since it used to happen on my old Vista computer from time to time, but for this computer it wouldn't let me log into Windows 7 again. I used my other computer to troubleshoot via google and couldn't really find anything as specific as my problem, and I had tried all the things like System Restore and etc, but nothing worked. I realized though that the OS would start (but would only let me open windows programs) in 'disable driver signature enforcement' mode. So I did that, backed up all my important files and reverted my windows back to its factory settings and that was that. I re-installed all of my programs (which was tedious) and brushed off the problem like it was nothing, but NOW I;m having the same problem. This time though the blue screen message just said "Stop:" and a bunch of 0's and 1's followed (let me know how i can access that error message to show you guys), and NOW I'm in that same loop where the Repair options aren't helping, and I can only login to Windows via the 'disable driver signature enforcement' option. And yes, Safe Mode isn't working either. So obviously I assume one of my drivers is causing this problem, but I need assistance since I'm not TOO computer savvy in order to track down the culprit. I'd really appreciate some help! Also, I think Windows Update has something to do with it. This seems to have began as soon as one of the updates failed.

Thank you, if you need any more info about my computer and such, please let me know!!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 10:44 AM

All replies

• You can click Start=>type dmp in the search box. The document(s) that it finds on C:\ are the dump files. If needed, you can post those to your Live public folder for analysis later.

Did you install and olde driver XP or Vista for a device? An older application for a peripheral device?

Next right-click on the Flag in the notification area in the low right of the screen and select troubleshoot a problem.

Select the hardware and sound troubleshooter first and run it. Click on the green heading, not a blue item.

Perhaps that will identify the problem.

Then run the system and security troubleshooter.

What's the result?

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:10 PM
  • To figure out which driver is 'not signed', type "sigverif.exe" in the Start search box and hit enter. Click on the "Start" button in the File Signature Verification wizard. After the scan completes, open the log file that is created. Check the "status" of all the files and catch hold of the file that does not have the 'Signed' status. See the path it belongs to (it'll be right above each category within notepad) and see if you can download a copy of digitally signed drivers for it. Please revert back if you face any issues or if this post seems confusing. Hope it helps!
    Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:16 PM
  • To figure out which driver is 'not signed', type "sigverif.exe" in the Start search box and hit enter. Click on the "Start" button in the File Signature Verification wizard. After the scan completes, open the log file that is created. Check the "status" of all the files and catch hold of the file that does not have the 'Signed' status. See the path it belongs to (it'll be right above each category within notepad) and see if you can download a copy of digitally signed drivers for it. Please revert back if you face any issues or if this post seems confusing. Hope it helps!

Thank you. A nice utility I did not know about.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:45 PM
  • You're welcome Nano. I see your recognition points, and I'm sure that I have a lot more to learn from you! :)
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:00 PM
  • I really appreciate the responses guys. I tried the sigverif program and found out that one of the files from Daemon Tools Pro wasm't signed, so I uninstalled the program and deleted any trace of it on my computer. After I did that I used sigverif again and it finally said they were all signed, but when I restarted my computer the exact same thing happened. It goes straight to the Repair page before Windows gets to even start. Right now I'm still in that driver signature mode. If I were to use my computer like this for a long time would it cause anything? and are there any other things I can try to fix this? I reverted my computer back to factory state once and it was such a hassle to re-install all my programs. So I want that to be my last resort. I'm about to do what Nano suggested right now.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Nano, after doing what you suggested, the hardware and sound troubleshooter told me to turn on windows update. I'm kind of afraid to do that though right now because the updates keep failing, and it's such a pain when that always happens. UGGGH
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Hi,

i was reading your message on using sigverif.exe and i found that seriously useful as it helped me with a similar issue and i was able to find and and sort out drivers that i had problems with. So i just wanted to say many thanks for that great tip!

Friday, September 23, 2011 2:38 PM