none
Issue to server backup

Question

• Hi,

When doing backup within Win 2008 server, is there any means to other drive, other than DVD D drive below?

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 7:32 AM

All replies

• Hi HuaMin Chen,

In server 2008, Windows Server Backup supports backing up to external and internal disks, DVDs, and shared folders.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc732091%28v%3dws.10%29

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc770266(v=ws.10)

May I ask in your scenario, is there available drive could be used to store backup? And is the destination drive has enough space to save the target you want to backup.

And for a test, you could only choose backup a folder. Like below choose one folder under C drive.

Then backup to another drive.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry to that I cannot choose C drive below.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

C drive is the backup item.

May I ask when you backup, do you choose customer backup? If you choose this, then in general, when you click next, you could add items which you could do customer backup not the full server backup

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:32 AM
  • Yes, please all steps I've selected, below

But to last step in above, I cannot choose C drive.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:41 AM
  • Hi,

You could remove the items.

After that, you could choose the folder/volume you want to backup in "add item".

Best Regards,

Mary

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:44 AM
  • Hi,

My question is whether we can choose C drive as the destination type, or not.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:52 AM
  • Hi,

If when you backup, the items also in the C drive . We couldn't backup to C drive then. And also system state backup couldn't be saved on C drive.

If we backup the items for example, just the folder in the E drive, in theory, we could backup to C drive.

Best Regards,

Mary

Thursday, May 31, 2018 1:13 AM
  • Hi,
    Did you ever back up server into place like

//specific_ip/folder0

and to also restore the image/shadow, based on backup on such place?

Thursday, May 31, 2018 1:26 AM
  • Hi,

Since the lab limit. I only have server 2008R2, not server 2008. Based on my knowledge, server 2008 should be simialr

And I test server 2008R2 backup a folder to network share folder and restore. It works.

Backup to another server DC1:

Then Recovery:

And also find the blog from Microsoft shows Windows Server Backup 2008 Restore from Network Location, you could also take a look.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2009/02/04/windows-server-backup-2008-restore-from-network-location/

Best Regards,

Mary

Thursday, May 31, 2018 9:34 AM
  • Hi,
    Is it possible to back up OS (with 30 GB Size), into one public path like

\\113.255.214.30\Share0

Is it right to set up such machine (with this public path) as a file server? I would raise one other thread, regarding this. 

Friday, June 1, 2018 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

According to the Microsoft blog, it should supported.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2009/02/04/windows-server-backup-2008-restore-from-network-location/

Since it mentioned that, "

Assumptions

You have added the Windows Server Backup feature to your 2008 install and run a Complete PC Backup to a network location, \\server\share

The following steps show how to do this restore by using the Windows Recovery Environment UI in addition to a sample way to do this with command line."

Best Regards,

Mary

Friday, June 1, 2018 2:46 AM
  • Hi,
    Could the above reply be of help in this thread? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back
    Best Regards,
    Mary

Monday, June 4, 2018 1:56 AM

• Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful in this thread.  Please let us know if you would like further assistance for this issue.

Best Regards,

Mary

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 8:25 AM