Assign Tasks Approval Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• hi

I have content approval and OOTB approval workflow to manage publishing enabled in a document library. The following checkbox is enabled "For each group entered, assign a task to every member of that group" in the workflow. There is a "library approvers" group set up for the library such that a task is assigned to each member of the group when the workflow starts. Each approver receives an email and can view the list of tasks assigned to that approver through the "user tasks' web part in the site.

In this setting each approver has to approve the document before it gets published. I want a setup where only one of the approver has to approve to complete the workflow.

So I disable the "For each group entered, assign a task to every member of that group" checkbox in the workflow setting, all approvers are sent an email, but it seems only one approval is required to complete the task.

But the approvers no longer see the approval task assigned to them in the "user tasks" web part. In the "Tasks List" the approval task is shown as assigned to the approvers group.

Is there a way the approvers will be able to see the approval tasks assigned to them in this setting?

thanks

• Edited by anoo97 Monday, October 3, 2011 3:32 AM
    Monday, October 3, 2011 3:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

After you disable “For each group entered, assign a task to every member of that group”, it will assign the task to the group, and the User Task web part retrieves all incomplete tasks that are assigned to the current user in the task lists of the current web site, so you will cannot see the task list item in this web part.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

I think it is not possible out of box; you may create a custom web part programmatically.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:27 AM

All replies

• See if you can copy the OOTB approval workflow and edit it in designer to go into the task process and change it to a parallel assignment instead of serial
    Pranav Sharma
    SharePoint Consultant, Portal Solutions
    Monday, October 3, 2011 5:30 AM
  • hi Pranav

thanks for your reply.

There is already an option in the OOTB Approval workflow to assign in parallel and serial.

What I am trying to say is if I disable this option: "For each group entered, assign a task to every member of that group".

The task is assigned to group and not individuals, hence "User Tasks" webpart won't show anything.

It seems I can use the task list webpart and filter by my groups. But if anyone knows of better solution then please let me know.

Monday, October 3, 2011 8:00 PM
  • Hi,

After you disable “For each group entered, assign a task to every member of that group”, it will assign the task to the group, and the User Task web part retrieves all incomplete tasks that are assigned to the current user in the task lists of the current web site, so you will cannot see the task list item in this web part.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Xue,

Is there any other way to acheive the same thing the "User Tasks" webpart was doing but include the tasks for groups the user is associated to as well?

thanks

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

I think it is not possible out of box; you may create a custom web part programmatically.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:27 AM