none
Changing Internet Domain Name RRS feed

• Question

• We have a fileserver running SBS2011 standard. Exchange is not used, Email is via an external provider, as is the website.
    For many years I have been maintaining the server using remote access. Recently, the company has changed names and now has a new domain name and new fixed IP and so remote access  to remote.olddomain.co.uk no longer works, I have to get in using Teamviewer. I have set up a public DNS entry for the new domain name and IP but remote access fails as the SSL certificate still has the old domain name on it . I have tried to install a new SSL certificate with the new remote.newdomain.com but it won't install due to a mismatch with the existing Internet Domain Name. Can I just change the Internet Domain Name to remote.newdomain.com, via the Connectivity page , or will there be knock on effects elsewhere. I'm wary of trying it if it's going to screw up an otherwise working server.
    Thursday, January 17, 2019 11:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

If possible, please try to re-run the setup internet address wizard vis SBS console. 

You may reference “Getting Started with Windows Small Business Server 2011” for detail steps:
    https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2228459

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 18, 2019 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 7:05 AM
  • Hi,
    I read the guide notes your referred to, but from that and from what others have told me, it seems it isn't completely straightforward. Changing the Internet Domain Name will affect other settings, such as the PC log on domain. As the server is working quite happily, it has a reliable internet connection, all the PC's are working to it correctly. The only issue is that I can't access it via "remote.newdomain.com". As the company is looking to upgrade the server within the next 12 months I think it safer to stay with Teamviewer.
    Thanks for your suggestions
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 7:38 PM
  • Hi,

It’s my pleasure. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Please remember to click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:39 AM
  • If you run the Internet Domain Name wizard it will only change the domain of your Remote Web Access url and you Exchange mail domain. That is the URL where you go to connect to your server or email if you use that. It does not change your local domain name at all and it will have no effect on how you login to the server from local connected workstations or laptops.

You need to make sure you have:

1. A Host A record in pub DND for remote.newdomain.com that points to your public IP address.
    2. A valid certificate for remote.newdomain.com. You can use Lets Encrypt for that, it is free. See Get a free Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate for Access Anywhere and automatically renew it.
    3. Port 80 and 443 need to be open to your server. Use http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to test if this is the case.

Kind regards

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | Updated migration guide: Migrate SBS 2011 to Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, January 25, 2019 3:56 PM
  • Hi,
    Thanks very much for that info. I had decided to leave it unchanged until we upgrade the server, but curiosity got the better of me so I followed your instructions.
    You're quite right, the Internet Domain Name change went without a hitch. I'd already sorted the public DNS entry, and have installed a self-issued certificate. When I access "remote.newdomain.com" I get past the initial security stage, and I can access all the shared folders, but when I try to access the actual server I get a certificate error message. It just lists various reasons for the failure. We still have a valid Go-Daddy certificate from the old domain which has another 3 weeks to run, so I re-keyed it with a new csr, downloaded the new one and tried to install it, but it won't install. It says "the certificate does not match your website".
    Any ideas how I can get around that one?
    Friday, January 25, 2019 9:20 PM