Using App-V 5 in a RDS environment. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm testing App-V 5 in a RDS 2012 environment (Shared Desktop), it's working fine. But the Refresh methods are not clear to me. In this document Microsoft recommends to use "Global Refresh", on page 18. But what's exactly the difference? First I enabled "User Refreshing" and Published the packages with the App-V 5 Management server to the users. I used AD Groups to limit shortcuts to the users. This was working fine. But now I changed the refresh method to Global, and the Shortcuts aren't visible anymore. 

Can someone explain how the refreshing works and wich one I can use best?

Monday, December 2, 2013 12:53 PM

Answers

• The 'global' refresh publishes applications that have computer accounts (groups) assigned (but not user accounts). The entry points (shortcuts, file types, shell extensions and others) are populated to all users of such a machine.

If you are using RemoteApps or Citrix Published Applications, the Global Refresh should be easier to maintain (publish to all RDS servers in the App-V Management Console and really control user access through RemoteApp/Citrix Publishing).

In full desktop scenarios, you may want to use a User Refresh to control which user sees which application.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=40885 discusses some more aspects of that

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

• Marked as answer by Alelieveld Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:27 AM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 8:36 AM

All replies

• The 'global' refresh publishes applications that have computer accounts (groups) assigned (but not user accounts). The entry points (shortcuts, file types, shell extensions and others) are populated to all users of such a machine.

If you are using RemoteApps or Citrix Published Applications, the Global Refresh should be easier to maintain (publish to all RDS servers in the App-V Management Console and really control user access through RemoteApp/Citrix Publishing).

In full desktop scenarios, you may want to use a User Refresh to control which user sees which application.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=40885 discusses some more aspects of that

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

• Marked as answer by Alelieveld Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:27 AM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 8:36 AM

Falko

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation and the URL to the whitepaper.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:27 AM