Which external published service required for federation between Skype for business and O365 RRS feed

• Question

• HI ,

in my company we have Skype for Business only for internal use.

While we have Hybrid in place for Exchange services. Now company want to setup federation between Skype for business and O365 skype online. 

could you please tell me why we need Edge server, and which mandatory service i need to publish to setup federation. 

Need some port information and command as well to setup federation.we don't want to publish AV, Meeting, Chat, video and audio functionality externally.

Regards

AM

Monday, September 3, 2018 5:50 AM

Answers

• Hey Hi !

The Skype for Business Edge server is required in the Hybrid setup as it will act like a mediator/proxy between you On-Premise Skype for Business and Skype for Business Online.

This is basically required in order to not to expose your Internal servers to external world and if you want to send out anything outside your company network then it should be via Edge server and this is by DESIGN, since the Skype for Business Online environment available externally you must need a Edge server to setup a Hybrid.

So lets talk about deploying the Edge server and publishing the service to Externally...

>> Edge server doesn't any kind of IIS service, instead it hosts Access Edge, AV Edge and Web Conference Edge roles  (I mean having the Public IP and creating a DNS A / SRV record  externally). In your case you need to publish all the 3 roles publicly in order to have the seamless communication between your On-Premise Skype for Business users and Online Skype for Business users.

>> If you are looking to have only IM and Presence functionality between your On-Premise Skype for Business users and Online Skype for Business users. ; then just publish only Access Edge Role (I mean having the Public IP and creating a DNS A / SRV record externally).

Note : Access Edge service is mandatory and you need to publish this service to external, and other services are also mandatory, however it depends if you want to leverage them for specific modalities. 

Reference Links :

http://www.rtcpedia.com/Blogs/Action?blogId=10039&blogURL=StepByStepInstallEdgeServer

Now, you need to setup a Hybrid -- refer the below excellent article 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2015/12/23/step-by-step-skype-for-business-2015-hybrid-configuration/

So, when you plan for Skype for Business Hybrid, you have to plan for Edge server first !!

Neeranjan Shettar (MyPage)

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Proposed as answer by Neeranjan Shettar Monday, September 3, 2018 1:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Am230089 Monday, September 3, 2018 3:29 PM
    Monday, September 3, 2018 1:28 PM