Creation of service applications results in a timeout RRS feed

• Question

• SharePoint Version: SharePoint 2013 SP1 (15.0.4569.1000)

Creation of new service applications results in the following errors:

"Sorry, something went wrong - The wait operation timed out"

In the ULS Log you can find the following error messages:

"System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The wait operation timed out"   

"SqlError: 'Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.'    Source: '.Net SqlClient Data Provider' Number: -2 State: 0 Class: 11 Procedure: '' LineNumber: 0"

"Cannot connect to SQL Server. Server not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.  Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."

"Error occurred while provisioning instances for Service Application. Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."

It is actual not possible for me to create any type of service application. I tried to create a Visio Graphics and a Reporting Services Service Application.

Does anyone have an idea what causes this issue?

Thursday, May 28, 2015 2:38 PM

Answers

• I solved the issue by myself.

The issues was caused because of a big SharePoint ConfigDB. In the table TimerJobHistory we have over 260 millions rows. If the timerjob Delete Job History fails the data starts growing and growing.

To solve the issue you have to trigger the timerjob Delete Job History until the databse table hav only rows for 1 day. For me it was 800.000 rows. After that you can shrink the database to release 98 % of unused space. After that you can create new service applications without any problem.

A script for triggering the timerjob Delete Job History you can find under the following link.

http://jantjesworld.blogspot.de/

Monday, June 8, 2015 11:09 AM

All replies

• Have you verified that you are able to connect to SQL server first. Also with what account you are logged into SP farm? You should be logged in with either setup account or farm account

From your logs:

"Cannot connect to SQL Server. Server not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.  Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."

If your farm is up and running, it should be more on the side of not having dbcreator and security admin role on the SQL server.

Hope this helps

Thanks Mohit

Friday, May 29, 2015 5:21 AM
  • I am able to connect to the sql server. I can create new databases for site collections without any problem.

I have used the farm account for the creation of the service application. The farm account ist actually sysadmin in the db instance. Because of this I think it is not a sql security problem.

When I tried to create the sql reporting service application, the 3 databases are created, but the service application provisioning job failes and roles all activities back. After the error message returned, the service application is registered in the farm, but the state is stopped and the databases were not deleted.

Friday, May 29, 2015 9:01 AM
  • Can you check if you have intermittent connectivity to SQL server or if the SQL client is configured properly. I don't suspect an issue with binaries on SP side. Also permission issue is now out of doubts.

Thanks Mohit

Friday, May 29, 2015 9:21 AM
  • This issue is probably from SQL site. Check if all the SP db's are fine. Temp Db or content db is out of space
    Friday, May 29, 2015 10:09 AM

The issues was caused because of a big SharePoint ConfigDB. In the table TimerJobHistory we have over 260 millions rows. If the timerjob Delete Job History fails the data starts growing and growing.

To solve the issue you have to trigger the timerjob Delete Job History until the databse table hav only rows for 1 day. For me it was 800.000 rows. After that you can shrink the database to release 98 % of unused space. After that you can create new service applications without any problem.

A script for triggering the timerjob Delete Job History you can find under the following link.

Monday, June 8, 2015 11:09 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback on how you were successful in resolving this issue. Your solution will benefit many other users.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:30 AM

an alternative method of solving this issue as well as an explanation on what actually happens. This uses the built in timer job and lets it do it's thing :)

https://jesperarnecke.wordpress.com/2015/05/20/sharepoint-configdb-growing/

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:30 AM