Conexant AC-Link Audio...??????????????? RRS feed

• Question

• My mom bought an HP zv6000 laptop in 2005 or 2006, equipped with Windows XP and it's always worked fine.  Unfortunately, we've been having problems with the sound card over the last year or so.  For whatever reason, the sound card sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.  According to the Device Manager, the sound card is a Conexant AC-Link Audio card, and it works when it feels like it.  Whenever I open up any media players, they all tell me that they've detected a problem with the sound card.  There's no Windows start-up sounds or anything.  But when I look at the card's information, it says that the device is working fine!  I don't understand why this would be happening.  My brother noticed that it usually does this if a user shuts down the computer manually without logging out first.  But why the heck should that affect the sound??  In any case, I've surfed countless websites, tried dozens of different things.  Nothing has worked.  I've updated the drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled both the drivers and the hardware...I'm no closer to figuring out the problem.  If anyone can help me with this, I would be very grateful!  This has actually happened to our system before, but when the sound comes back, it's not because anyone did anything, it just comes back when it's ready to, like it has a mind of it's own.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 2:06 PM

Answers