none
power shell RRS feed

• Question

• i want to learn the window power shell administration for Exchange server 2010..plz guide me.. thanx
    Tuesday, September 22, 2015 1:53 PM

Answers

• There are many good books out there for PowerShell and Exchange.  Being specific to Exchange, I'd suggest the Exchange Server 2010 Administrator's Pocket Consultant (W Stanek), specifically Chapter 4.  But your best guide is to familiarize yourself with the shell commands, and specifically, to view the output of the Exchange Management Shell Command Log, when you open the EMC.  You can also view the commands that a wizard has run when it completes (you can copy them out using Ctrl-C and paste them into a OneNote for future reference), as well as when you make changes to the properties of an object (press the Open Shell Commands, lower left corner of properties mage when making changesbutton in lower left corner of properties of an object).  These will show you what commands the console uses, and will give you good insight as to how you can use the same commands yourself.

I also recommend you get a basic book on PowerShell itself - I have Windows PowerShell Step by Step (E Wilson) - so you can get an idea of how loops, variables, and Boolean statements can be used.  Oh, and you'll also want to dig into how to form valid Regular Expressions (RegExs), whether you use online references or books.  You'll find these can be highly useful as you learn more about the language.

HTH ...

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 6:32 PM

All replies

• There are many good books out there for PowerShell and Exchange.  Being specific to Exchange, I'd suggest the Exchange Server 2010 Administrator's Pocket Consultant (W Stanek), specifically Chapter 4.  But your best guide is to familiarize yourself with the shell commands, and specifically, to view the output of the Exchange Management Shell Command Log, when you open the EMC.  You can also view the commands that a wizard has run when it completes (you can copy them out using Ctrl-C and paste them into a OneNote for future reference), as well as when you make changes to the properties of an object (press the Open Shell Commands, lower left corner of properties mage when making changesbutton in lower left corner of properties of an object).  These will show you what commands the console uses, and will give you good insight as to how you can use the same commands yourself.

I also recommend you get a basic book on PowerShell itself - I have Windows PowerShell Step by Step (E Wilson) - so you can get an idea of how loops, variables, and Boolean statements can be used.  Oh, and you'll also want to dig into how to form valid Regular Expressions (RegExs), whether you use online references or books.  You'll find these can be highly useful as you learn more about the language.

HTH ...

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 6:32 PM
  • Hi,

Here is a recommended and great website to get started learning Windows Power Shell.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/dd742419.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 2:53 AM
  • Exchange Server 2010 Administrator's Pocket Consultant (W Stanek).....Sir can u give any link for free pdf download
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:39 AM
  • Exchange Server 2010 Administrator's Pocket Consultant (W Stanek).....Sir can u give any link for free pdf download

Just google it with keyword "Exchange Server 2010 Administrator's Pocket Consultant pdf", the first link should be what you want.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 7:16 AM