none
What're the DR solutions for DPM 2010 server with attached SAN disks for protected servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a DPM2010 server and SAN disks attached for backup data, which is risky. The ideal solution is to have a secondary DPM server to host 2nd DB and backup data. But having two copies of data on SAN is not cheap.

So we plan to assume SAN is safe forever (which might be ridiculous), what're the DR solutions to save me when the current DPM goes away?

Thanks.

Wei SHEN

• Edited by Wei SHUM Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:59 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:59 AM

Answers

• If the concern is a crash on the DPM server what you need to ensure is that you have a backup of the DPM Database.

If the server ever goes bad and you need to reinstall,  you will need the DPMDB in order to be able to restore the already backed up data.

The rebuilt server will need to have the same name and DPM QFE level.....

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:38 AM

All replies

• If the concern is a crash on the DPM server what you need to ensure is that you have a backup of the DPM Database.

If the server ever goes bad and you need to reinstall,  you will need the DPMDB in order to be able to restore the already backed up data.

The rebuilt server will need to have the same name and DPM QFE level.....

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:38 AM
  • Hi Wilson, I'm wondering if perhaps you could provide more info on a DR solution for DPM.  It's something we want to use in our company, but in order for DPM to be a viable solution we need a DR option for it.

Is there any documentation you can provide by any chance?

Thanks

Ron

ronbursey@gmail.com

Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:07 PM
  • Hi Wilson, I'm wondering if perhaps you could provide more info on a DR solution for DPM.  It's something we want to use in our company, but in order for DPM to be a viable solution we need a DR option for it.

Is there any documentation you can provide by any chance?

Thanks

Ron

ronbursey@gmail.com

Hi Ron,

Here are some good TechNet articles on DPM DR.

• http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634186.aspx
    • http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795680.aspx

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Friday, March 16, 2012 12:31 AM