Windows 7 running XP program RRS feed

• Question

• I am interested in a new system with windows 7. I ran the software compatability test and my wife's favorite program is not compatable. If I get Windows 7 Ultimate, can I run this program in XP? Is it an easy process?
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:53 PM

Answers

• You may be able to run it in XP Mode, which is a real copy of XP running in a virtual machine under Windows 7. It's a free download with Win7 Pro or Ultimate.

You could also try the Win7 compatibility site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

That may tell you if there's a compatible version of the sotware available.

Or, if you have no privacy concerns, post the name and version of the software here. Someone may be able to advise you on its specifics.

• Edited by bobkn Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Geraldo EL Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:43 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:31 PM

All replies

• It depends on the hardware requirements of the game.  XP Mode's video is limited and many games simply will not run because of the video limitations.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:29 PM
  • You may be able to run it in XP Mode, which is a real copy of XP running in a virtual machine under Windows 7. It's a free download with Win7 Pro or Ultimate.

You could also try the Win7 compatibility site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

That may tell you if there's a compatible version of the sotware available.

Or, if you have no privacy concerns, post the name and version of the software here. Someone may be able to advise you on its specifics.

• Edited by bobkn Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Geraldo EL Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:43 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Thanks, There is a compatable version, but we have purchased 2 newer versions before and they don't scale the print that is avalable in the original program.  The program is CreataCard Gold a very early app from American Greetings.  We tried to load on her sister's machine with Windows 7 and it would not load.

Is the virtual machine easy to choose and run applications - games are not a requirement?

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:53 PM