none
Backup Restore Test- Sysvol and Netlogon shares are missing

Question

• I have done Primary Domain Controller ( Windows Server 2008 R2  Domain Functional level is 2003 )  restore test using NetBackup in my Lab. But after restore I found that sysvol and Netlogon shares are missing. Then I followed the article and changed the following registry value. Metadata cleanup done for all other domain controller.

1. In the Command box, type net stop ntfrs.
    2. Locate the following subkey in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore\Process at Startup
    3. In the right pane, double click BurFlags.
    4. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, type D4 and then click OK.
    5. Run net start ntfrs

After this Sysvol Folder comes up without any script or any content in that. Netlogon  and scripts are missing.

I found the below error in Event logs

The Netlogon service could not create server share F:\Windows\SYSVOL\sysvol\Domain.CO.IN\SCRIPTS.  

The system cannot find the file specified.

How can I restore this as we need to do backup restore Test on yearly basis.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 6:50 AM

Answers

• Problem Has been resolved after doing the below procedure.

Sysvol and Netlogon shares will be missing do not work

Run the following command on all domain controllers in the forest.

Net Stop NTFRS  (stop the file replication service)

Go Into Registry Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore\Process at Startup

Change the BurFlags DWORD to = D4 on the Primary Domain Controller and change to D2 on all of the backup domain controllers.

Start the NTFRS service again by using Net Start NTFRS command

On the server where you edited the BurFlags DWORD to D4 copy the folders in the folder NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog to C:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\sysvol\yourdomain.localIn the Command box on the server where you set the DWORD to D4, type net start ntfrs.

Start the Net Logon Service 

• Marked as answer by shehimkannur Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:06 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:06 AM

All replies

• Any Solution
    Friday, January 27, 2017 6:16 AM
  • D4 can't solve the sysvol empty issue, you need to do a D2 poiting to a healthy DC

http://www.windowstricks.in/sysvol-interview-questions-and-answers

Note: D4 is to push the policy from a healthy DC to all remaining DC's

Regards,
    Ganesamoorthy.S
    www.windowstricks.in)

Friday, January 27, 2017 6:20 PM
  • Its in the Lab.. ..Can i restore from backup and what is the procedure
    Sunday, January 29, 2017 4:25 AM
  • Its in the Lab.. ..Can i restore from backup and what is the procedure

If SYSVOL is empty on all domain controllers, you have no other choice but to restore the whole SYSVOL content from a backup. Procedure to restore the backup depends on the solution and whether you have a valid backup or not. But if you have a valid backup you can restore the SYSVOL and you should be good. 

If you do not have a backup and you want to restore the SYSVOL, you should re-create your GPO's from scratch using your documents. For Default Domain Policy and Default Domain Controller Policy, you can use dcgpofix tool to restore them to default values.

Mahdi Tehrani   |     |   www.mahditehrani.ir
    Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people.
    This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, January 29, 2017 4:50 AM
  • how to restore only sysvol and netlogon from tape backup .please provide the procedure.
    Sunday, January 29, 2017 2:58 PM
  • When i go to sysvol i can see a folder created and all script exist there   c:\windows\sysvol\domain\NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 10:03 AM
  • Problem Has been resolved after doing the below procedure.

Sysvol and Netlogon shares will be missing do not work

Run the following command on all domain controllers in the forest.

Net Stop NTFRS  (stop the file replication service)

Go Into Registry Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore\Process at Startup

Change the BurFlags DWORD to = D4 on the Primary Domain Controller and change to D2 on all of the backup domain controllers.

Start the NTFRS service again by using Net Start NTFRS command

On the server where you edited the BurFlags DWORD to D4 copy the folders in the folder NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog to C:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\sysvol\yourdomain.localIn the Command box on the server where you set the DWORD to D4, type net start ntfrs.

Start the Net Logon Service 

• Marked as answer by shehimkannur Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:06 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:06 AM