Comparing GPOs for two users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have an issue where something (an app) is working for one user on a single machine, and not another user, on the same machine. There are group policies and logon scripts in effect throughout the domain (as verified by rsop and gpresult). 

Is there a way to compare the GPOs for two users on Windows Server? I don't have access to the servers (domain controllers) as I am the consultant as developer trying to fix this issue (from an outside company) (though I do know AD/group policy fairly well).

Lets assume Windows 2003 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

Thanks

Monday, October 15, 2012 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To compare GPOs applied to the two users, please run gpresult/h report.html to generate all group policy result with each user logon, and save them to compare.

If you one of them are local admin or have permissions to run MMC, we could also with one he or she logon to generate others group policy result:

1. Open MMC.msc

2. Add/Remove Snap-in...

3. Choose Group Policy Object, click add

4. On the Select Group policy object, click Browse

5. Trough Computers and Users tab to specify GPO.

In addition, please also refer to the below thread:

Show difference between two GPO

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/bb35ea0d-fcfd-4acb-b667-f93d1539b137

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Yan Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Yan Li

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:37 AM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:10 AM