Can't play Civ4 / COD5 on Win 7... please help!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to play Civilization 4 and Call of Duty 4 on Win 7, but when I start the game, it initializes and then the screen goes black and the computer freezes.  Actually, from watching the bar during initialization, it makes it approximately 75% thru, then goes to black and freezes.  I'm not sure if it is completing initialization 100% and then trying to launch the game before freezing, or if it is not fully initializing.  From the troubleshooting performed (see below), it appears to be an OS compatibility issue.

My setup:
    -Win 7 64 bit, Build 7100
    -Geforce GTS 250 video card with DirectX 11 with Win 7 64 bit driver

Troubleshooting:
    -verified video card had correct driver and is working properly
    -uninstalled and reinstalled video card driver multiple times
    -uninstalled and reinstalled games multiple times
    -contacted game customer support (with little support due to Win 7 in beta)
    -verified latest game updates
    -started Civ4 in compatibility modes (XP SP2&3, Vista, Vista SP1&2)
    -currently reinstalling with setup file in compatibility mode (we'll see if it works)
    -duplicated problem on both games
    -installed Civ4 on my laptop (XP) and it works
    -searched Civ4 forum to verify that there are users running the game on Win 7
    -same problem occurs when running on integrated graphics card only

Has anyone had similar problems?  Are there any work arounds?  Any suggestions for additional troubleshooting?  Please provide detailed response as this is all somewhat new to me. 

Thanks in advance,
    T
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:07 PM

Answers

• I figured it out.  Turns out it was a firewall issue.  I am using comodo, and when disabled, the game loads properly.
    • Marked as answer by toesky Friday, July 31, 2009 5:26 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 5:24 PM

All replies

• The Civ4 reinstall in XP SP3 compatability mode didn't work.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:08 PM
  • So, it just so happens that I discovered that the computer is not freezing.  It just takes exactly 16 minutes to load.  It also takes 16 minutes to exit the game and return to desktop.  Any ideas what the problem might be?
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:21 PM
  • I've no idea, but why do you suppose that somewhat aged programs will work on Windows 7 by default? Maybe there are incompatibilities that can't even be solved by using "compatibility modes"? The finest example are the "Dungeon Siege" games (published by... some known "game studios"). Every attempt to use them on Windows 7 will get you the message "This program has known compatibility problems with this version of Windows".
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:42 PM
  • I figured it out.  Turns out it was a firewall issue.  I am using comodo, and when disabled, the game loads properly.
    • Marked as answer by toesky Friday, July 31, 2009 5:26 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 5:24 PM