none
What are the minimum SPO permissions required run a migration? RRS feed

• Question

• We are running a migration to SharePoint Online and I need to plan what user account we will use to run the migration.

My understanding is that, the account we use to start the Migration Tool will be set as the site collection administrator for the target site collections in SPO.

I've seen that there is a SharePoint admin role in the Microsoft 365 admin center but I wanted to understand more broadly, what the minimum set of permissions that the account needs to be able to start the tool and run migrations?

• Edited by DNeimke Monday, December 2, 2019 8:10 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2019 8:00 AM

Answers

• Update 2:

I assigned the new account the following in-built roles and was able to successfully run the SPMT tool and have it create new sites:

Roles: 

SharePoint admin

Global reader

• Marked as answer by DNeimke Saturday, December 7, 2019 11:37 PM
    Saturday, December 7, 2019 11:37 PM

All replies

• Update...

I created a new account in my DEV O365 Tenant and assigned it the SharePoint Administrator role.

I was able to start SPMT by providing the credentials of the new account but I was not able to run the migration.  When I attempted to start the migration I received the following error message in the SPMT tool:

>> "Sorry, you don't have access to this site.  Please enter a different Sharepoint Online site URL or contact your administrator"

When I logged into the Admin Centre and manually created the site, I was able to run the migration using the new SharePoint Administrator account.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 11:44 PM
  • Update 2:

I assigned the new account the following in-built roles and was able to successfully run the SPMT tool and have it create new sites:

Roles: 

SharePoint admin

Global reader

• Marked as answer by DNeimke Saturday, December 7, 2019 11:37 PM
    Saturday, December 7, 2019 11:37 PM