DFS RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Friend

i have 2008 r2 server and we have installed DFS Role on server 2008r2  so i want to replicate all folder and file by installing DFS tool  on windows 7 PC My question

1) shall i install DFS tool on windwos 7 and replicate?

2) please give me any idea i want to replicate all my folders and file from server 2008 r2 to windows 7

Monday, April 28, 2014 10:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean to install the RSAT in Windows 7?

DFS server role on Windows Server 2008 R2 will manage the folder replication mechanism. And if you want to manage server role in Windows 7, we may consider to install Remote Server Administrator Tools in Windows 7.

Description of Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7

Overview of DFS Replication

Hope this may help

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, May 5, 2014 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

Do you need any further help regarding the issue here?

Besides, could you please explain a bit for” I want replicate all my folders and file from server 2008 r2 to windows 7”? DFS could create replicated folders between servers, and Windows 7 as a client OS don’t have this function available. If we want to have the folders on the server stored in Windows 7, we could enable folder redirection with offline files.

Folder redirection is a feature that allows users and administrators to redirect the path of a folder to a new location, manually or by using Group Policy. The new location can be a folder on the local computer or a directory on a network share. Users have the ability to work with documents on a server as if the documents were based on the local drive. For example, you can redirect the Documents folder, which is usually stored on the computer's local hard disk, to a network location. The documents in the folder are available to the user from any computer on the network.

Offline Files (also known as Client Side Caching or CSC) makes network files available to an end user when a network connection to the server is unavailable or slow. When working online, file access performance is at the speed of the network and server. When the server is unavailable or the network connection is slower than a configurable threshold, files are retrieved from the Offline Files folder at local access speeds.

More information, please take a check with the following article:

Offline Files and Folder Redirection

Deploy Folder Redirection with Offline Files

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 10:28 AM