NAP Behavior for XP Sp2 Systems and lower RRS feed

• Question

•  

If NAP is only supported for XP Sp3 and Later, what happens to a system not on XP Sp3 when it comes onto the network, what does NAP do with it, Does it just allow access?
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hey Joe! Microsoft has released all the NAP Clients we planned for: Vista RTM/SP1, Server 2008 and XP SP3 (x86 only). As mentioned, we have NAP Clients coming out from 3rd parties for all sorts of systems. I try to keep blogging about updates as I get them.

The future isn't written though. We may choose to produce another NAP Client for a previous release, but nothing in the works right now. It really depends on customer demand as NAP is deployed around the world!

{Jeff Sigman}{Senior Program Manager & NAP Hero}{Enterprise Security Group}

{NAP Blog, FAQ, Forum, MSDN, Site and my bloÿg}

• Marked as answer by David Baur Friday, January 30, 2009 2:29 AM
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 11:31 PM

All replies

• I just watched a Microsoft webcast and they stated that there will be NAP clients for Linux and Mac platforms, so that should take care of those.  For Win XP SP2 and prior, I believe they will be categorized by NPS as non-capable and have that policy applied to them.

• Unmarked as answer by David Baur Friday, January 30, 2009 2:29 AM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:40 PM
  • What about XP x64?  Its based on Server 2003, so it wont be getting the same SP3 that XP x86 just recieved.  I've read on the NAP Blog that Server 2003 won't be getting a NAP Client, so does this also mean XP x64 won't?
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 7:31 PM
  • Hey Joe! Microsoft has released all the NAP Clients we planned for: Vista RTM/SP1, Server 2008 and XP SP3 (x86 only). As mentioned, we have NAP Clients coming out from 3rd parties for all sorts of systems. I try to keep blogging about updates as I get them.

The future isn't written though. We may choose to produce another NAP Client for a previous release, but nothing in the works right now. It really depends on customer demand as NAP is deployed around the world!

{Jeff Sigman}{Senior Program Manager & NAP Hero}{Enterprise Security Group}

{NAP Blog, FAQ, Forum, MSDN, Site and my bloÿg}

• Marked as answer by David Baur Friday, January 30, 2009 2:29 AM
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 11:31 PM