Shared Printers Offline for some users RRS feed

• Question

• We have a 32 bit Windows 2008 print server with various printers from different vendors with 64 bit and 32 bit drivers. The printers are deployed to computers using computer group policies. There are some computers from different OU's and different site locations where all printers from that print server show as offline. Most computers are able to print without difficulty.

• When I try to add another printer from the print server from an affected workstation using \\servername\printername, an error message pops up saying the print server spooler service is offline. When I add the printer using \\IPaddressOfServer\printername, the printer adds without any issues.
    • From an affected workstation when I ping the server name, I get the correct IP, and when I ping -a the IP I get the correct server name.
    • I am also able to add printers from a different print server using \\servername\printername
    • If I restart the spooler service on the local workstation, the printers are online again. But after a restart, they are back offline.
    • Unchecking Use SNMP in the Configure Port menu of one of the printers doesn't cause the printer to show as online for the affected workstations.
    • Reimaging the affected computers fixes the problem temporarily, but after a couple of weeks, the printers go offline again
    • It doesn't seem to matter which user is logged in to the computer. Even logged in as a domain admin.

Again, this is happening on only a few dozen or so workstations. Most others are fine. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:13 PM

Answers

• Should we take the computer off the domain, delete the computer object in Active Directory, then rejoin the computer to the domain?

Hi Waterswim,

On current situation, you can consider that select an affected client computer as a test computer, then un-join it from the domain and re-join it to the domain, then check if this issue still exist.

-->Unchecking Use SNMP in the Configure Port menu of one of the printers doesn't cause the printer to show as online for the affected workstations.

Please also refer to following article and check if can help you.

How to: Fix a network printer suddenly showing as offline in Windows Vista, 7 or 8

Please Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

By the way, did you open Event Viewer and check if find any relevant event (or error) in that affected client computer and print server?

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Monday, March 30, 2015 4:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, April 2, 2015 5:54 AM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:03 AM

All replies

• Are there existing machine objects in AD for these machines. When you reimage do you delete the old machine objects prior to rejoining the domain?

I have seen similar behavior when the machine was installed, joined to DomainA.  Then reinstalled this time joined to DomainB.  

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Friday, March 13, 2015 3:10 AM
    Answerer
  • Hey Alan,

We only have one domain here. We didn't delete the computer objects when we reimaged. Should we take the computer off the domain, delete the computer object in Active Directory, then rejoin the computer to the domain?

Friday, March 13, 2015 2:39 PM
  • Should we take the computer off the domain, delete the computer object in Active Directory, then rejoin the computer to the domain?

Hi Waterswim,

On current situation, you can consider that select an affected client computer as a test computer, then un-join it from the domain and re-join it to the domain, then check if this issue still exist.

-->Unchecking Use SNMP in the Configure Port menu of one of the printers doesn't cause the printer to show as online for the affected workstations.

Please also refer to following article and check if can help you.

How to: Fix a network printer suddenly showing as offline in Windows Vista, 7 or 8

Please Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

By the way, did you open Event Viewer and check if find any relevant event (or error) in that affected client computer and print server?

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Monday, March 30, 2015 4:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, April 2, 2015 5:54 AM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:03 AM