Rewinding or FFWDing Media Center TV sometimes results in TV Window blacking and loss of audio RRS feed

• Question

• I recently reinstalled Win 7 SP 1 Home Premium 32 bit and I'm still experiencing the subject problem that prompted the reinstall.

I'll be watching live TV with no problems and then decide to rewind a bit by clicking the rewind button a few times (the more times I click and the more rapidly, the more likely this problem seems to occurr) and the Media Center TV screen/window will sometimes 'smoothly' go black also sometimes with a loss of audio. The timer shows TV playback is still occurring and then after a while - 5 ~20 seconds, the picture and then eventually, the sound, return. This occurs both in Windowed or Full Screen TV viewing.

My system details are:

Intel DG45ID Motherboard with E8500 Core2 Duo 3.16 GHz CPU and using onboard G45 Graphics

4 GB (2 x 2GB) of compatible Corsair DDR2 RAM

Compro Technology E900F TV Card (receiving just DVB-T UK Freeview broadcasts)

4 x 1 TB Samsung HDDs configured in a 2 TB RAID 0+1 Array using native board functionality

All the latest drivers are installed correctly - chipset, TV card, Grahics, Audio and Intel RST as well as ME software etc. I've also tested with both Playready installed and not installed - with no difference.

Does anyone know whats causing this or workarounds to cure it please?

Friday, June 15, 2012 10:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check if the following article is helpful.

http://www.bettacomputers.com.au/blog/windows-7-media-center-black-screen-on-rewind-and-pause-of-live-tv/

Niki
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are
    TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 18, 2012 5:50 AM
  • Hello Niki,

Many thanks for your reply and that very interesting link. I've reviewed that workaround more deeply and it seems to stop the screen blacking/loss of audio problem but according to one of the threads that it originated from here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-tv/losing-soundpicture-when-rewinding-live-tv-in/6e0f575a-4bed-4248-9cac-a6392b7b6d16 , the 'fix' also disables MHEG 5 Functionality, which for me, as a UK user of the BBC Red Button and other interactive services, is NOT acceptable. The BBC have recently ceased their Ceefax (Teletext) service which has been superceded by the red button MHEG-5 based service so bug free MHEG-5 is our only option.

I see that the other thread I linked to has had no official comment from Microsoft - as a Moderator here (clearly someone with connections/influence at Microsoft to at least some degree) will you kindly pass this up the chain to be fully and properly addressed please Niki? Otherwise maybe someone who is responsible for this field at Microsoft would care to comment here (and over on that other Microsoft thread that's been awaiting their input for some time)??

I realise that MHEG 5 , despite being an international standard, isn't utilised all around the world (notably not in the USA) so I hope this doesn't affect Microsofts prioritisation of providing a proper fix to this issue.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry that the information is not helpful. I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Appreciate your patience.

Niki
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are
    TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:50 AM
  • Thanks for offering to involve someone from Tech Support/More knowledgable about the underlying MHEG 5 issue Niki. I used chat the other day to get an update and they mentioned a reply should take up to 48 hrs so my fingers are crossed for such a reply anytime soon.
    Monday, June 25, 2012 6:00 AM
  • Hi, 

Whether the issue occurs with local video but not TV? Thanks. 

Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:28 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. The answer is no - the problem occurs with live or time lapse TV ONLY. Recorded TV thats finished recording or video behaves as expected. Additionally, the problem was NOT present on the same system when recording/time shift recording Analog (PAL-I) TV - only with Digital DVB-T.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:48 PM
  • I suggest that you repost this at the Windows Entertainment and Connected Home forums, there are some Windows Media Center experts there:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114.aspx

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 7:49 PM
  • Hello Tim,

Thanks for that suggestion. When I get a chance and some time, I'll do that but first I'd like to see if I get my moneys worth for my Technet Subscription from Microsoft's official tech people (my subscription is coming up for renewal soon so this is especially important).

How are things going with your investigations Kevin from Microsoft (it's been much more than 48 hrs since I answered your question and the problem is still very present on my PC)....

Sunday, July 8, 2012 8:25 AM
  • Hi, 

Could you please have a try using VGA cable and check the result? Thanks. 

Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 9, 2012 8:29 AM
  • Sorry, please use DVI cable for test. Thanks. 

Kevin Ni

Monday, July 9, 2012 8:33 AM
  • I am using a DVI Cable connecting my PC to the monitor (and have been from the beginning). If you are unable to recreate the problem, I'm perfectly happy to take my PC into your nearby UK Reading HQ and demonstrate the problem to them there and then (as long as they have a DVB-T antenna I can plug it into).
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Come on Microsoft.... I'm still waiting on a solution to this - please act and fix this bug to give me my moneys worth or I won't renew my Technet Subscription.

Kevin Ni, may I have a progress update please?

Monday, July 30, 2012 8:50 PM
  • Needless to say I never renewed my TechNet Subscription because I felt I wasn't getting my moneys worth. Since then I think Microsoft have stopped the sort of subscription I had anyway. I can only assume many more people felt the same way and gave up on a TechNet Subscription.

Microsoft sure has gone downhill since Mr Gates left but you never know they may 'surprise' us one day and fix this. I have to many other things on at the moment to write a letter to Microsoft Management about it but it is a sad reflection on the company that issues such as this bug seem to get ignored by the company and no one with any real responsibility or clout in the company has involvement with these forums.

Paul Murphy

Monday, September 1, 2014 8:49 AM