none
Windows 10 Build 1703 major issues

Question

• Hello,

I have had the Creator's Update installed on three computers so far, and for two of them it has been nothing but issues.  To start off with on a domain joined computer, with a domain account, everything on the start menu disappeared and all I am left with is an icon of an down arrow with a line underneath of it. This same computer also closes Microsoft Edge the moment it opens. Looking through the event log, there is nothing showing that Edge is crashing. And lastly there are about 1000 errors since the update installed for the following:

App Container profile failed with error 0x800700B7 because it was unable to register the AppContainer SID.

The other computer that is having a problem is not domain joined, but will essential stop what it is doing for a little while and then start again.  I had the same issue with it when the Intel Turbo Boost v. 3.0 software was forcibly installed but Windows Update, though disabling that caused the issues to stop.  When the Creator's Update hit it turned on the software again, to which I disabled it, but am still seeing issues.  I will be moving the mouse around and all of a sudden for about 30 seconds to a minute, the computer locks up, the mouse may move, but extremely slow, then speed up again.  I have had the resource monitor running and there are no blips on the CPU, Disk I/O that show this happening.  This also happens in the middle of games, it basically stops them, waits then allows them to continue.

Looks to me like there was not enough testing done with the Creator's Update or the QA department fell asleep at the wheel again.

Any thoughts on how to fix the issues with both of these computers?

Michael R. Mastro II

Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:53 PM

All replies

• Consider starting the troubleshooting with Administrative powershell and C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther

There may be some useful information learned from viewing the log files:

setupact.log

and

setuperr.log

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhdfDD74t_q2jTOBOFp7jX8fenJK

Thursday, April 13, 2017 10:23 PM
  • System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot (guide by Team ZigZag) check the health of Windows on the systems affected.

Third party software involved? Try a clean boot see it happens in clean boot and if not troubleshoot from there.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 10:31 PM
  • SFC /Scannow produced no errors. DISM is currently running, not sure if it will find anything. There is no third party software that I know of.

Michael R. Mastro II

Friday, April 14, 2017 3:05 AM
  • Going to C:\$Windows.BT\Source\Panther with powershell gives me an error that it does not exist.  Going to C:\Windows\Panther and opening the Setupact.log shows me something, but I am not really sure what I am looking at.  I do see a lot of operation completed successfully, and I didn't see an errors.  Opening Setuperr.log just gave me a blank display.

Michael R. Mastro II

Friday, April 14, 2017 3:14 AM
  • The DISM command did not work.  I have run it twice, the first time: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth && DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth which failed on the Restore for the source file could not be found. I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and made an ISO and mounted it, then  verified the drive as O. I then ran DISM again with the following command: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth && DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth /source:WIM:O:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

This too failed for unable to find the source.  The OS Build version I have is 15063.138.  I cannot seem to find an ISO with the exact same version.

Michael R. Mastro II

Friday, April 14, 2017 4:05 AM
  •   It is probably faster (and also better in the long run) to do a repair install.

All of my machines upgraded perfectly except this one which I use most. It was doing odd things and DISM could not repair it. It took me 2 or 3 hours to get everything reinstalled and looking how I wanted it but it now runs beautifully.

Bill

Friday, April 14, 2017 4:18 AM
  • With you having problems on multiple computers the panther command is a way to search for installation errors.

In your post above:  "Going to C:\$Windows.BT\Source\Panther with powershell gives me an error that it does not exist."

For the power shell command please use control c to copy and control v to paste into administrative powerlink.

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther

The ~ was missing in your command.

It will likely generate files/folders as in the above onedrive link.

If you can produce these panther files you then can open and view the log files and search for any windows 10 version 1703 installation errors.

The dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command is currently working properly for windows 10 version 1607 and it will display the restore operation completed successfully when there are no problems with your operating system.

The dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command is currently malfunctioning for windows 10 version 1703 and it will display error 800f081f the source files could not be found.

These are some additional links that may be useful:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/deploy%2fresolve-windows-10-upgrade-errors

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-creators-update-common-problems-and-fixes

Please type reliability into the left lower corner search to view the reliability control panel.  There you should be able to see a daily view of critical and information events.

https://www.howtogeek.com/166911/reliability-monitor-is-the-best-windows-troubleshooting-tool-you-arent-using/

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749583(v=ws.10).aspx

If there is something of interest you can look further in the eventvwr.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/event-viewer-what-is-going-on-in-your-computer/fdda2010-d4df-4fed-863b-89ce0142419d

Friday, April 14, 2017 4:34 AM
  • Co I copied the path into Administrative powershell as such and it still says it does not exist.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> cd C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther
    cd : Cannot find path 'C:\.~BT\Sources\Panther' because it does not exist.
    At line:1 char:1
    + cd C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\.~BT\Sources\Panther:String) [Set-Location], ItemNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetLocationCommand

Which I would be fine with, except that I can see the drive in File explorer, I can go in there and I have six files. 

Setuperr.log is empty.  Setupact.log had six warnings and no errors

2017-04-13 23:31:37, Warning                      SPGetFootprintCapabilities: Footprint [Footprint.Basic] incomplete; the platform capability will not be available

2017-04-13 23:31:37, Warning                      SPGetFootprintCapabilities: Footprint [Footprint.Servicing] incomplete; the platform capability will not be available

2017-04-13 23:31:37, Warning                      SPGetFootprintCapabilities: Footprint [Footprint.ICB] incomplete; the platform capability will not be available

2017-04-13 23:31:37, Warning                      SPGetFootprintCapabilities: Footprint [Footprint.Migration] incomplete; the platform capability will not be available

2017-04-13 23:31:37, Warning               SP     CSetupPlatform::Initialize: Failed to initialize tracing

2017-04-13 23:31:38, Warning               SP     CSetupPlatform::ResurrectNewSystem: Cannot find new system serialized data.

I also was able to finally see an issue on the reliability monitor for Edge.  It shows that it has crashed only once.  And that the Flash.ocx was the faulting module.  I am unfortunately not able to turn off Flash with in Edge, if it is on, because I cannot get Edge to stay up log enough to get to the settings.  I mean Edge is only visible for less than a second.  I click on it, it shows on the screen, then bye-bye.

So I am left with two options... Rollback and try again, or nuke the machine and go with a fresh install.  While I am not interested in the nuclear option, it may be the only thing that works.  I will have to find all my keys for Visual Studio and Office 2010 first.  I know I have them somewhere, but where is the question.

Also your answer:

The dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command is currently malfunctioning for windows 10 version 1703 and it will display error 800f081f the source files could not be found.

This confirms my previous statement:

Looks to me like there was not enough testing done with the Creator's Update or the QA department fell asleep at the wheel again.

Michael R. Mastro II

Friday, April 14, 2017 12:37 PM
  • So I reverted back to Windows 10 Anniversary Update.  Everything was working on my domain account.  I logged off and logged in on a local computer account.  Ran the upgrade to Windows 10 Creator's Update.  Logged back in with the local account after that.  I was able to access Edge and it worked fine, everything else was working.  I logged off the local account and logged back into the domain account.  Go to use Edge and it closes immediately.  I check my Start Menu and it is completely wiped. 

I do not understand why there are so many issues with domain accounts after an upgrade.  Why can't Microsoft postpone pushing out new versions until they have all the bugs worked out?  Seriously I have to spend hours upon hours reverting my machines back to a previous state that worked, because they can't get it right. 

Sorry for the rant, but with the respects of the upgrade from the local account.  I still have the AppContainerSID issue, User Device Registration error (

Automatic registration failed at join phase.  Exit code: Unknown HResult Error code: 0x801c001d. Server error: empty. Debug Output:\r\n joinMode: Join

&

Automatic registration failed. Failed to lookup the registration service information from Active Directory. Exit code: Unknown HResult Error code: 0x801c001d. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=623042

)

Again no errors are showing for Microsoft Edge, but it is definitely closing the moment it pops up on the screen.  I would like to fix these issues, because we all know that it will keep trying to install the Creator's Update each time I revert it and have a stable system.  I am not looking to keep spending hours doing that.  I am also now not sure that the nuclear option will work.  Any thoughts?

Michael R. Mastro II

Friday, April 14, 2017 6:31 PM
  • Hi Michael R. Mastro II,

Have you deployed roaming profile on the domain?

For the Microsoft Edge issue, please open an administrator command line and run "Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}" to register all the store apps.

If you have deployed the roaming profile in the domain, please remove the gpo then check the symptom again.

In addition, please refer to the following link to troubleshoot whether there is any "Access denied" error.
    Using Process Monitor to solve any problem, including DebugDiag
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/benjaminperkins/2013/05/03/using-process-monitor-to-solve-any-problem-including-debugdiag/

Process Monitor v3.32
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 17, 2017 8:16 AM
  • Hello,

Yes I have deployed roaming profile on the domain.  I also from an administrative powershell ran the "Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}". This had no effect.

This is eerily similar to the issues that were happening when Threshold was released and we were about to roll out Windows 10.  Edge and a whole slew of apps would not work for domain joined accounts with a roaming profile.  This was only fixed with the Anniversary Update.  So did it take a step backwards with the Creator's Update?

We will roll out a machine again with the Creator's Update, and disable the roaming profile from the GPO to figure out if that is the issue. 

Michael R. Mastro II

Monday, April 17, 2017 10:57 AM
  • Well turning off the Roaming Profile GPO for Windows 10 machines and leaving it on for Window 8 systems has prevented the profile corruption, and all apps are currently working.  Though users moving between machines are still having to make changes to their displays on each computer since this information is not roaming anymore.  Since this has fixed the profiles for the moment, would turning on the GPO again corrupt the profiles or not?   

Michael R. Mastro II

Monday, April 17, 2017 10:47 PM

So the issue is caused by the roaming profile?
    At present, we could try to disable roaming profile temporarily. You could submit the issue with the "Feedback" tool.
    I will submit the issue on my side, too.

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:09 AM

So the issue is caused by the roaming profile?
    At present, we could try to disable roaming profile temporarily. You could submit the issue with the "Feedback" tool.
    I will submit the issue on my side, too.

Best regards

It seems likely that the issue is caused by the roaming profile.  What would have caused it though?  As of right now the Roaming profile GPO remains disabled for Windows 10 machines, and enabled for Windows 8.1 down.  This is causing a little more work for preparing for travel, and while it is not a ideal situation, it has been seen that Windows 10 and roaming profiles have been inconstantly overlooked.  Worked on RTM, broke on Threshold, fixed and worked with Anniversary Update, broken again with Creator's Update.

Michael R. Mastro II

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:20 AM
  •  no errors are showing for Microsoft Edge, but it is definitely closing the moment it pops up on the screen. 

Where are you looking?  Since Edge is a modern app perhaps you need to use the PowerShell  Get-AppxLog   method?  In fact, this has just reminded me that I have had a few cases of Edge unexpectedly disappearing myself (which is annoying if it happens when you are halfway through composing a reply to a post)...  Looks like that won't be the right diagnostic either.  Who knows?  Unfortunately my example is not reproducible or frequent enough to warrant running ProcMon just to try to capture whatever is happening but I do agree that would be best to try if it is something that is bothering you enough to try to diagnose it.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:27 PM
  • I was looking in Event Viewer.  With Threshold, when I was having these problems, each time Edge did what it was doing here, it was writing events to the Event Viewer.  This time there was nothing showing there, but Cortana, Weather, and Money were showing issues in Event Viewer.

Michael R. Mastro II

Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:21 AM
  • Has there been a fixed for the Roaming Profiles? My Edge is still crashing and did ever trick under the sun. 
    Monday, May 15, 2017 8:44 PM
  • As far as I know, there has been no fix for it yet.

Michael R. Mastro II

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 10:50 AM
  • Thank you for replying. This is frustrating after reimaging my PC and still did not fix the issue. It works for a local account but not my roaming account. Not sure what they missed but this puts a hold on upgrading.  
    Tuesday, May 16, 2017 2:33 PM
  • after reimaging my PC and still did not fix the issue.

Did you wait for updates?  FWIW I haven't seen the example that I referred to recently and am currently on 15063.296.  Maybe it has been fixed?  In fact, I just realized instead of Edge crashing (or doing whatever it was doing to cause it to disappear) I have been seeing problems with Remote Desktop unexpectedly stopping.  What diagnostics would I use to understand that symptom?  Perhaps I should take my own advice and use ProcMon to find out.  I can try that.  This outage does occur more frequently than the Edge abort.  I have been assuming it was just a connectivity quirk but probably should check to see what it really means.  TBD.

Meanwhile have you done anything to identify your error codes?  Looks like a problem with the file system, either permissions or omissions.  For example, here's a clue your  0x801C001D leads to

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc231214.aspx#Appendix_A_4

FACILITY_FILTER_MANAGER   =  

0x01C

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/c9c40e1f-7f6f-435e-93f5-6ab2d4e2b029/rs114393-update-roaming-profile-login-error?forum=winserver8gen 

(BING search for
        0x801c001d FACILITY_FILTER_MANAGER error codes
    )

FWIW it looks to me more like a "This should never happen." sort of thing than anything more definite.  So, you would really need to crank up the tracing to get any clearer idea of what it might mean.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 3:59 PM
  • PS>net helpmsg (0xB7)

Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

PS>net helpmsg (0x1D)

The system cannot write to the specified device.

PS>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 4:04 PM
  • The dism commands appear to have been fixed today:

In administrative command prompt run these commands:

1) sfc /scannow

2) dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

3) dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

4) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Friday, May 19, 2017 2:36 PM
  • PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

Tool zur Imageverwaltung für die Bereitstellung
    Version: 10.0.15063.0

Abbildversion: 10.0.15063.0

Es wurde keine Komponentenspeicherbeschädigung erkannt.
    Der Vorgang wurde erfolgreich beendet.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

[==========================100.0%==========================] Der Komponentenspeicher kann repariert werden.
    Der Vorgang wurde erfolgreich beendet.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

[===========================96.7%========================  ]
    Fehler: 0x800f081f

Die Quelldateien wurden nicht gefunden.
    Geben Sie mit der Option "Quelle" den Ort der Dateien an, die zum Wiederherstellen des Features erforderlich sind. Weite
    re Informationen zum Angeben eines Quellorts finden Sie unter "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077".

Die DISM-Protokolldatei befindet sich unter "C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log".
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:54 PM
  • Die DISM-Protokolldatei befindet sich unter "C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log".
    In fact CBS.log is a better diagnostic after DISM /RestoreHealth fails.  And if you have only one missing manifest don't worry about it.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:01 PM
  • We have also Roaming Profiles and Edge is still crashing...
    Friday, June 23, 2017 5:49 AM
  • We also have Roaming Profiles and Edge crashes/shows blank pages. But as far as i can tell this is only happening to profiles (profile.V6) that hav been created when 1607 was installed.

If there is a way to "reset" the part of the profile related to Edge this might be a solution.

Finn H. Borgi

Thursday, August 3, 2017 1:36 PM
  • Michael your absolutely correct remember that Microsoft cleaned house fired all USA windows engineers developers and hired people from India and Philippines so that should explain why this update sucks and they don't give a shit having these update done on my system has caused Mayhem not only does my network sucks but almost everything sucks even there level one and level 2 techs are useless.

Sunday, August 27, 2017 8:01 PM