none
DPM server take too much time for boot and login 2-3 hours RRS feed

• Question

• I'm facing performance issue with DPM boot time , it took from 2-3 hours to logon after boot.

I checked many blogs and i found tool DevNodeClean and i ran it with switch /n the output was shocking 3458 record was in the output.

is it safe to run the tool to Remove registry entries for orphaned storage devices and whats the precaution ?

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As long as all the DPM storage pools are online - then you can safely run the devnodeclean utility.

If that does not help - then try adding these registry values one at a time and see if they help.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PnP
    DWORD AsynchronousOptions = 0

On Windows 2008 R2, try this.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    REG_DWORD:ReportBootOk:0x0   <----set this value to 0 and we don't copy lastknowngood registry.

On Windows 2012, try this.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Session Manager\Configuration Manager\LastKnownGood
    REG_DWORD:Enabled:0x0   <----set this value to 0 and we don't copy lastknowngood registry.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 3:22 PM

All replies

• Hi

if you take the network cable out does it boot quick and login quicker?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:05 AM
  • Hi ,

This is not applicable for disconnecting network cable , i need support for using DevNodeClean tool with DPM server

• Edited by Mina Fouad Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:37 AM spell check
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:36 AM
  • Hi,

As long as all the DPM storage pools are online - then you can safely run the devnodeclean utility.

If that does not help - then try adding these registry values one at a time and see if they help.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PnP
    DWORD AsynchronousOptions = 0

On Windows 2008 R2, try this.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    REG_DWORD:ReportBootOk:0x0   <----set this value to 0 and we don't copy lastknowngood registry.

On Windows 2012, try this.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Session Manager\Configuration Manager\LastKnownGood
    REG_DWORD:Enabled:0x0   <----set this value to 0 and we don't copy lastknowngood registry.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 3:22 PM