Odd behavior with audiences RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a link in the top (global) navigation that is audience targeted to two different audiences, and these links do not seem to be working properly.  I have SharePoint groups configured in the audience, with AD groups in the SharePoint groups.  Additionally, I have five farms, farm 1 content deploys to farm 2 -5. 

In farm 1:
    When logged in with the system account I can see the tab (header link) to the audience targeted site.  When logged in as a member of the audience I can see the site at the top level site.  However, if I then browse to any subsite then it seems like it is pure luck if I'm going to get that link or not.  On the search site I get it, but most other sub-sites do not get the link, even though they are all set to inherit from the parent.

In farm 2:
    I don't see the link at all in farm 2.  I had several other changes deployed at the same time and those changes were all there, so I know the content deployment worked.  Also, if I go towhere you can modify navigation then I can see the tab (header) for this link, and the SharePoint groups are still in the audience.  Still, from the top page I dont' see the link at all, even when signed in with the service account.

If farms 3-5:
    The users should not see the link at all in farms 3-5.  The site doesn't exist, and this sometimes seems to cause problems with content deployment.  At first it had errors because this site, and an incorrect link, pointed to sites that did not exist.  Weird thing is that once I fixed the incorrect link then I haven't had problems with content deployment failing, although I would actually expect it to since this link also technically points to a site that doesn't exist.

So my questions are
    1.  How do I get the link to show up in farm 1 & 2 with audience targeting
    2.  Should content deployment be failing in farm 3-5

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Also, running:
    MOSS 2007 Enterprise - SP2
    Windows Server 2008 - SP1
    SQL 2008 - RTM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 7:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Eric,

I have some questions in order to understand your issues:

1.       What is your SharePoint farm versions?

2.       Is the 5 farms are identical? If not, what are the differences?

3.       Is the 5 farms in the same domain?

4.       As the audiences rely on users profiles, does the 5 farms share with the same users profiles and how do you achieve this?

5.       About content deployment failed in farm 3-5,is there any error messages could helpful for troubleshoot the issue?

-lambert

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin | Microsoft TechNet Managed Forum Support
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:25 AM
  • Lambert,

Sorry for the delayed response.  For some reason I'm not getting notifications.

Here are some answers to your questions.

1.  All SharePoint farms are on service pack 2, version 12.0.0.6421 in central admin settings,  12.0.6425.1000 in control panel - Progrms and Features.

2.  The 5 farms are identical on the top page, but are not identical below the top page.  The top page, and a few subsites are identical, but this is not a dev, stage, prod content deployment set up.  This content deployment set up is to give a common navigation and home page between 5 different global locations.  Really there isn't that much in the content deployment packages but it has been normal for the content deployments to time out.  I think there is still a bug in the timer service.  I did open a case with MS and they never could figure it out so they refunded my ticket.

3.  The 5 farms are not in the same domain.

4.  There is not one SSP shared between 5 farms, each location (farm) has their own SSP.  I use configured audiences to direct users to the approprite location for My Site, based on domain.  Having that said though, I tried to configure this link in the global navigation using audience targeting, but audiences are not copied between farms so I used a SharePoint group instead.  Those are coppied between farms, but the link still does not show up.  In fact, it doesn't show up in the destination site even if I am logged in with the system account.

5.  Content deployment is not failing now, so not really any errors to pass on.  I did receive errors when a broken link existed in a navigation header.  My assumption is that error must happen based on the source farm sites, because farms 3-5 do not have one of the sites that is configured in the navigation.  That is the reason we are trying to use audience targeting, to basically hide the link from farms 3-5.

Is your avatar from Voltron?

Thanks,
    Eric
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:03 PM