Creating a "waiting" task between 2 tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Currently I'm working on a project where some challanges popped-up. The situation is like this:

We have manufacturing tasks of parts that are already started, those have a fixed durations and this wont change.I think i'll make manual tasks of these.

We also have tasks to assamble all the manufactured parts, these dates will still change  depending on finall delivery.

Now i want to get the following from MS-Project:

The amount of days between the end of manufacturing and start of assembling. This could be a extra task called "storage" or an extra collum next to the task.

If assambling starts before the end of the manufacturing I want some sort of visual error. This could be just a red text or something.

Is there any easy way to do this? Thanks for helping!

• Edited by CvDaalen Tuesday, October 13, 2020 11:33 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2020 11:30 AM

All replies

• CvDaalen,

First of all, do NOT use manually scheduled tasks. Manual scheduling is intended for first draft of a plan (i.e. estimating periods, times, flows of the process). Once the plan is laid out, revised to meet some end goal and ready for execution, all tasks should be auto-scheduled.

You describe as your manufacturing tasks are fixed duration so set the task Type field to "fixed duration". End of story.

I'm not quite sure how you assemble parts before they are manufactured so the red flag idea seems odd. This is the schedule format I suggest. It shows a fixed duration manufacturing task followed by an assembly task. If there are also vendor parts that need to be included, then appropriate tasking for those can be added.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, October 13, 2020 3:26 PM