none
GPO Preference - Registry change, multiple keys

Question

• This is the first time doing this (registry change vio GPO).  I have to change 3 keys.  I used the Registry Wizard in the GPO.  Got the changes from a remote computer.  I'm sure the keys are right.  I ran the wizard 3 times to get all 3 keys.  Ran RSOP on a test server. Showed as being applied, but the changes weren't made.  Those 3 keys in the registry on the test machine did not change.

I'm trying to change the properties of a service.  On the logon tab of the service is an option for "allow service to interact with the desktop".  I'm disabling that.  Trying to.  If I create a Reg file and just double-click that on a server, it works.

I'm at a loss as to where to troubleshoot this.  I've checked all Windows logs.  I've checked the GPO/Operational logs.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Soooooo many things can be wrong here, the value has to be set to "update" existing values, it has to be in a computer (not user) policy, filtered to the correct OS (or all OS'es), linked to the right OU, filtered to the correct AD Group (if using a group). You'll have to show what you've created and how it's linked to the machine that's not showing a change...

Jack

• Edited by JFetter Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:48 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:47 PM
  • I show it as being set to "update".

As far as the other things you mention; 1.) It is a computer policy  2.) All OS's 3.) It's linked to the right OU 4.)  Not filtered to a group.

But if the problem was with any of those, it wouldn't get applied.  RSOP shows it's getting applied.  It appears that this is more of a regedit via GPO problem, versus a general GPO problem.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:16 PM
  • I got it to work.  All I did was change the "action" from Update to Replace.  Interesting.  You'd think they would have the same effect.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:10 PM
  • I got it to work.  All I did was change the "action" from Update to Replace.  Interesting.  You'd think they would have the same effect.

At least you got it ;-)

Jack

• Edited by JFetter Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:53 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:52 PM
  • Hi,
    I am glad that you got it to work, and appreciate for your share and feedback, it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same problem.
    Regarding the update and replace action of registry item in group policy preference, you could take a look:
    Replace: Delete and recreate a registry value or key for computers or users. If the target is a registry value, the net result of the Replace action is to overwrite all existing settings associated with the registry value. If the target is a registry key, the net result is to delete all values and subkeys in the key, leaving only a default value name with no data. If the registry value or key does not exist, then the Replace action creates a new registry value or key.
    Update: Modify settings of an existing registry value or key for computers or users. This action differs from Replace in that it only updates settings defined within the preference item. All other settings remain as configured in the registry value or key. If the registry value or key does not exist, then the Update action creates a new registry value or key.
    Best regard

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 8:24 AM
  • I appreciate the additional information on update versus replace.  But, because of the wording, it doesn't explain the behavior I saw.   I was trying to change a registry value.

I interpret this:  "it only updates settings defined within the preference item" to have the same result as this "If the target is a registry value, the net result of the Replace action is to overwrite all existing settings associated with the registry value".

But like Jack wrote, all that really matters is that it worked  :-)

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 2:33 PM