none
Ignore X-UA-Compatible in IE10 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to find out how to tell IE10 to stop listening to the "X-UA-Compatible" tag on websites, and do what I (the user) want it to do instead. So far I've only managed to use the developer tools to turn it of temporarily, but it always reverts back when I open up new tabs (which I do a lot, so sticking to one tab is not really an option... nor should it be). I've messed with various compatibility settings I've found, but non of them seem to affect pages where this meta tag is set.

The back-story is that I'm using a site that reverts the rendering mode to IE8 using "X-UA-Compatible", because IE9 apparently took offense to some code in there and couldn't render it properly. IE10, on the other hand, seems to have overcome that particular problem. Unfortunately, the meta tag specifies that it should use IE8, not that it should specifically avoid IE9, so now it's stuck in IE8 mode even though IE10 would work fine. (And there are a few HTML5 features on that site I'd like to see working, now that the browser can actually render them.)

So, can this be done? And if not, then why?!

Thanks.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:57 AM

All replies

• kind of similar (but maybe in reverse?)
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cjacks/archive/2012/12/18/debugging-the-new-weightwatchers-mobile-site-on-ie10-for-windows-phone-8.aspx

I guess the answer to your question is: nope? (not at your end)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, December 27, 2012 10:55 AM
  • Hey Don. Thanks for the answer. The article you linked to doesn't really address my problem though. I already know more than I wanted to know about IE's compatibility stuff from a developers perspective. I just want IE10 to render things like IE10, much like the other standards-supporting browsers do, and not revert back to the dark ages of IE8 at some random developer's whim. Surely it wouldn't be overly complicated to add an override like that for advanced users, to completely bypass the compatibility modes (except perhaps Quirks Mode for severely mangled markup), while maintaining the current flow as a default for normal users.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:22 AM
  • Tools>Internet Options>advanced tab, uncheck "Automatically recover from rendering issues with compatibility view"

Tools>Compatibility View Settings, uncheck "Display intranet sites in compatibility view", "include updated website lists from MS"

the xua meta a server headers are not meant to be user over-rides...

do the above chages to IE's settings at your own risk.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Saturday, December 29, 2012 2:10 AM
  • Hey, Rob. Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately these configuration options do not have the desired effect. IE still does exactly what the X-UA header is telling it to do.

I am also aware that the X-UA header is not meant to be used by the user to override the browsers rendering mode. In fact I am trying to do the opposite: have the browser override the X-UA header.

Saturday, December 29, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Did you ever get a response on this?  I am trying to accomplish the same result.  I want the X-UA-Compatible setting on the web page to be ignored.

I've configured my web server to supply a header for the X-UA-Compatible setting and I want that to be used instead of the one in the HTML.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:54 PM