none
DPM 2010, SharePoint 2010 and SQL aliases RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have read all the documentation about DPM 2010 protecting SharePoint 2010 when using SQL aliases but I still can't get it working 100%.

Within DPM I can select the SharePoint 2010 WFE and it correctly enumerates the farm.  I can select the farm and start the replica - this all works fine.  The replica completes successfully but at the end I get the error "Backup metadata enumeration failed".  This, in turn, causes the "SharePoint item level catalog failed" error to appear when DPM tries to build the SharePoint catalog overnight.

In my experience with DPM 2007 SP1 and MOSS 2007 the "hard part" was actually getting DPM to enumerate the farm when creating the protection group - but that part just worked immediately with DPM 2010 and SharePoint 2010.

I have run "ConfigureSharepoint -EnableSharePointProtection" and entered an account with SharePoint Farm Administrator rights.  This account is also a local administrator of the SharePoint WFE (is this necessary?).

I have installed the SQL client connectivity components (from SQL 2008 R2 which is the same version that my SQL server hosting the SharePoint databases is running) on my SharePoint 2010 WFE.  Is there still a requirement to install only the SQL 2005 version of these tools?  This page:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399420.aspx

...indicates that the requirement no longer exists.  It specifically mentions using only the SQL 2005 client conponents if using MOSS 2007 or WSS 3.0 - given that I am using SharePoint 2010 I have assumed that the SQL 2008 R2 version is OK but maybe I am wrong?

I only use a single SQL alias and it is correctly defined on the SharePoint 2010 WFE.

If I run "ConfigureSharepoint -ResolveAllSqlAliases" I get no output.  I have never seen this command actually do anything on any of my previous installations either.  Even when I had DPM 2007 successfully protecting MOSS 2007 with SQL aliases, the "resolve" command never gave any output.  What is it meant to do?  Does it only show errors and therefore blank output is a good thing, or does the blank output mean I have a problem?

"vssadmin list writers" shows that the "SharePoint Services Writer" is registered and "stable".

These are all clean servers in a lab environment so there shouldn't be anything legacy on the servers causing issues.  All servers are running Windows 2008 R2.

What am I missing?

Cheers,
    David

• Moved by MarcReynolds Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:54 AM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Monday, October 4, 2010 10:58 PM

All replies

• There are multiple issues here.

Backup Metadata Enumeration Alert is raised generally when SharePoint writer is not reporting databases/ not running etc.  You can check if the SharePoint writer is reporting all the databases with this command.

vshadow.exe -wm2 > WriterMetadata.txt

To check if the alias resolution by SharePoint writer is happening correctly,

In WriterMetadata.txt, for each of the components of SharePoint writer check that the dependency does not contain SQL alias in it.

It should be of the format \\MachineName\MachineName\SQLInstanceName\DatabaseName. Instead of machineName or instanceName, if it contains alias, then alias needs to be configured correctly, may be alias is not added in the correct namespace. In the SQL Configuration manager, you can check if the aliases are present in the correct namespace(SQL Native Client 10.0 Configuration and not  SQL Native Client 10.0 Configuration(32bit))

Regards

Guru.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 8:19 AM
  • Hi Guru,

I would like to perform these checks for you, however I am unsure where "vshadow.exe" is supposed to be?  Should it be on the SharePoint server or the DPM server?  I couldn't find it on either.

Even though I have not done these checks yet, wouldn't it be fair to say that the alias configuration MUST be right simply because the backup itself works OK?

There is a single alias.  This alias exists in both the 32bit and 64bit namespace in SQL Configuration Manager (I always create aliases in both).  This single alias is then used for every database in SharePoint 2010.

The fact that SharePoint 2010 is working fine means the alias must be fine.  The fact that DPM 2010 can enumerate the farm and correctly backup the databases on the right SQL server surely means that the SharePoint writer is doing all the correct things as far as the alias is concerned?  If it wasn't resolving the alias right then the databases would never be backed up - but they are backed up perfectly.

The only issue is what I said - at the end of every backup, the "Backup Metadata Enumeration Alert" is raised which in turn causes the catalog to fail overnight (which means I can't do item level restores).

I'd be very grateful if you could answer my specific questions as well as asking me for addition information.  These questions were:

1. What is "ConfigureSharePoint -ResolveAllSqlAliases" actually meant to do?  I've never seen it show anything other than blank output.

2. With DPM 2010 and SharePoint 2010, is it OK to install the SQL 2008 R2 client connectivity components on the SharePoint front end?  Has the requirement for the 2005 version been removed?

Cheers,
    David

Saturday, October 9, 2010 3:21 AM
  • David,

1. The resolveallsqlaliases switch is used for protection of SP 2007 farms as the writer would then report the aliases and DPM would resolve them.  In SP 2010, this functionality is handled by the SharePoint writer and thus the switch when protecting a SP 2010 farm is not used.

2. I'm not totally sure if the R2 client connectivity tools will work although I believe they should.  The 2005 version restriction was for SP 2007 farms as the restrictions were from SharePoint.  With SP 2010, as stated, the writer does the alias translation and this is done using the client connectivity tools.  Essentially, it turns over this work to the tools and just waits for the alias to be resolved and returned.  So, while I don't know for sure if R2 compenents will work, I do know that you will need at least 2008 client connectivity tools if you are protecting a SP 2010 farm.

As for the vshadow tool, this is to be run on the WFE server itself.  The tool can be downloaded separately.  If the WFE server is running 2008 or R2, then you can use an inbox tool:

diskshadow.exe <enter>
    list writers > writers.txt

You can use the writers.txt file to get the same information Guru was pulling from the WriterMetaData.txt file he was creating.

Thanks, Chris Bu - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:33 PM