1 Hour boot, 1 hour login RRS feed

• Question

• We have a semi-simple AD domain of about 800 computers, on a semi-new  1gbps network, back to 2 (pretty powerful) domain controllers.  

Windows 7 PCs
    Server 2008 DCs

DC Diagnostics Come back good.
    DNS infrastructure is solid, and hasn't been changed in quite some time.
    Packet Sniffer on the network traffic during the boot process didn't show any red flags.

All of the computers have randomly began getting stuck at "Applying Computer Settings" upon boot.  I turned on verbose mode to find that most of them say "Applying Local User & Group Policies..."  They hang here for 1 hour before continuing on to the login screen.

Right now, I've moved a couple of test machines into an OU with no inheritance and now they're getting hung after login @ Applying Deployed Printer Connections Policy... and there is no printer policy.  I've now moved my test login account over to that OU as well, but I'll have to wait a little while to get to test like that.

I'm also seeing an issue where the NLA service is sucking up all of the memory of the machines for quite some time.  I'm not sure if this is related or not, but it causes some similar issues.  I have had slowness after the user logs in, but so far I've only verified that happening when the NLA service is acting up.

Here's the log from one my latest test.. this is after POST, before login.  You'll see some gaps in time where it seems that nothing is going on.  Hopefully someone will see something that I haven't, or be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

GPSVC.LOG

Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:48 PM

Answers

• Thanks,

The issue ended up being related to SCCM/WMI.  The WMI repository was becoming corrupted on the SCCM managed machines.  I found a patch (kb2617858) and pushed it out across the network, and all is well.

• Marked as answer by adwood19 Monday, May 5, 2014 1:21 PM
    Monday, May 5, 2014 1:21 PM

All replies

• Hi adwood19,

Have you deployed deploy Group Policy preferences to the computer? If so, please install the following hotfix:

You experience a long domain logon time in Windows Vista, Windows 7,  Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 after you deploy Group Policy preferences to the computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2561285/en-us

In addition, please refer to the following similar case to get more help:

Servers take an endless time at applying group policy settings

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/9ef88fd8-7860-465c-b794-bac1e15662b7/servers-take-an-endless-time-at-applying-group-policy-settings?forum=winserverGP

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Friday, April 25, 2014 6:31 AM
  • Thanks Lany,

I've installed this patch on a few of my machines and it has no effect.  I've also removed a couple of my machines from any GPOs and there has still been an issue.

To make this a little more complicated- It now seems that all of the machines that are having issues are the ones with the Configuration Manager Client on them.  We've been running SCCM 2012 for several months, but not all clients have it yet.  I pushed the client out to a couple of labs yesterday, and this morning they all had slow boot issues for the first time.  2 of the 25 computers booted up just fine... and those were the 2 that had not yet picked up the client.

Friday, April 25, 2014 1:51 PM
  • Hi adwood19,

Did you mean that the client still had issue even if there were no GPOs? If so, this is not a issue caused by GP.

In addition, since you are running SCCM, you can go to the following forum to get more help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/home?category=configurationmanager

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Monday, May 5, 2014 8:26 AM
  • Thanks,

The issue ended up being related to SCCM/WMI.  The WMI repository was becoming corrupted on the SCCM managed machines.  I found a patch (kb2617858) and pushed it out across the network, and all is well.

• Marked as answer by adwood19 Monday, May 5, 2014 1:21 PM
    Monday, May 5, 2014 1:21 PM