Avanquest PowerDesk Pro is flaky (Explorer replacement) RRS feed

• Question

• Avanquest PowerDesk Pro flaky (Explorer replacement)

I have used PowerDesk since about the mid 90's. It was originally a stand-alone product to provide significant enhancements to Windows Explorer. Over the years, it has been sold and resold several times, and is now distributed by Avanquest. The latest version is 7.0

http://www.avanquest.com/USA/software/powerdesk-pro-7-96228

Here are some of the problems I've noticed:

* Basic install works ok, but updates result in an odd message about incomplete setup.

* PowerDesk will freeze if downloads from internet happening that result in a new file being created in subdirectory. Also happens if file transfers from another computer on my home network are done outside of PowerDesk.

* Don't have repeatable steps in order to replicate the problem, but PowerDesk seems to be the culprit that causes 7100 to completely lockup to the point that I need to use the hard-reset button or power-down to recover. The mouse pointer is frozen, and Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't do anything. This has happened several times in the past month or so.

* When this happened once, I left the computer in a locked-up state for about ten or more minutes. When I came back to check, it was still completely locked up (mouse cursor wouldn't even move, so seemed like even hardware interrupts were 'broken')

* I acknowledge this could be PEBKAC <g>

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

After checking the PowerDesk Pro 7 site, I found that this software may not support Windows 7. Please note the System Requirements.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

At this time, please also try to run this application with Compatibility Mode or “Run as Administrator” and see how it works.

If the issue persists, it is also recommended that you contact Avanquest regarding this issue and provide your feedback.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by l_d_allan Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:55 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

After checking the PowerDesk Pro 7 site, I found that this software may not support Windows 7. Please note the System Requirements.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

At this time, please also try to run this application with Compatibility Mode or “Run as Administrator” and see how it works.

If the issue persists, it is also recommended that you contact Avanquest regarding this issue and provide your feedback.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by l_d_allan Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:55 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:32 AM
  • I also use PowerDesk 7 and have found it slow and unstable under Windows 7.  It wasn't great under XP but the benefits of this package outweighed the occasional irritation.  I think we'll have to wait until Avanquest release v8.

Cheers

bobra
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:57 PM
  • PD 7 is much more stable than 6. What I absolutely hate is that Avanquest's licensing scheme allows you to install the v.7 software on only 1 PC.
    I upgraded my PC's hard drive after the old one failed. When tried to install using the key they sent me and it said the key was already in use. I emailed Avanquest and their reply was that their license was for 1 PC. If I wanted to install it on my new machine I would have to buy another license.

I've tollerated PowerDesk's quirks since version 2 but this is the end for me!!!
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:22 AM
  • You may not have asked the right people. I e-mailed PowerDesk tech support and told them I was testing Win7 on the same system as I had installed XP on. The reply was they would open the registration counter for my version 7 serial number so that I could install and register it again - but only once more; either on Win7 32-bit or 64-bit. Also PowerDesk 6 started just fine on my #2 system without going through the re-registration problem. My experience with PowerDesk is that it is superior to Windows Explorer and I will make every attempt to continue to use it every where I can.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:59 AM
  • I've tollerated PowerDesk's quirks since version 2 but this is the end for me!!!

I'm ready to switch from PowerDesk, but haven't been able to find a suitable replacement. It hasn't really been upgraded for several releases, except what seems to be just enough to keep it compatible with new o/s. My impression is that Avanquest bought it to get "subscription" income, but putting essentially no new development expense into it.

Any suggestions for a free or very low cost replacement that is actively supported? Open source?
    • Proposed as answer by dprochon Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:54 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 11:39 AM
  • I think Ultra Explorer is awesome... and it's free :-) I've probably tried about 20 different file managers and this one rocks !!!

It doesn't have FTP support unfortunately, but otherwise it's an incredible piece of software that is just getting better. There's also forums where you can report bugs and the developer responds very quickly

Saturday, August 1, 2009 8:37 PM
  • Couldn't agree more.  Ive used power desk 6 (free version) for several years and been happy.  However, it is poison to Windows 7.  I worried about compatibility but thought that if it installed smoothly without error messages all would be OK.  WRONG!  After installation, clicking on desktop icons brought weird results.  Decided to uninstall but couldn't bring up my control panel to do so.  Couldn't find any uninstall directions on the application itself.  Windows System Restore app wouldn't work.  Finally called my brilliant grandson who helped me get rid of it using CCleaner.  All is well now. 
    Monday, December 28, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Thanks Paul ... I'll give CCleaner a try. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 10:32 AM
  • I upgraded my win Vista(32)  to Win7 (64)t, I found that my PowerDesk 7 would not run; I happend to have PowerDesk 6 still installed, that runs without a hitch. 
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:59 PM
  • There's a cure!? Yay! I've been mad at my Powerdesk Pro 7 for a long time, but I can't find a way to just ignore it and use my basic Explorer. :'( It's taken over my computer! I'll plug in my memory stick and it'll open with Explorer, but when I try and open up a folder, Powerdesk takes over and I can't escape! *sob* Plus, if I try to right click on something, Powerdesk will mysteriously "not respond" and shut down, lagging up my computer in the process. And if I try to only use good old Explorer... well it's impossible. When I get my laptop, I'm never letting my dad "help me out and upgrade" my laptop. :P Powerdesk isn't an upgrade, it's a method of taking over the Interwebz, and, through that, the WORLD. THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME THE CURE! You have saved me from insanity. :')
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Install UltraExplorer (even better than PowerDesk):
    Ultra Explorer

Together with Directfolders (replaces DialogHelper):
    Direct Folders - quick access to your favorite folders

And you're better off than with PowerDesk.

It's free!
    It works under Win 7
    Friday, February 19, 2010 1:09 PM
  • I have enjoyed using PD for years. I'm an old DOS guy so like to be able to view and manage folders and files between multiple HDs or partitions.
    Currently runninv V6 on a Vista 32 bit machine and a 64 bit WIn 7 machine.  I have asked Avantquest a number of times when they will have a version that officially supports Win 7 but no clear answer yet.

My current experience is a bit odd.
    Under Vista all is OK except if I close the application it will not re-start unless I re-boot the machine.
    Under Win 7 it works just fine with no re-boot requirements.

RE Right Click issue.  I do not think this is PD related. Suggest a search at
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx
    for Right Click.

There area number of different causes for this problem under IE8 so may be a related issue.

I find the dual screen view a great plus for this program and can lock which folders or partition the program opens to. With Explorer I waste a lot of time clicking around to find where stuff is. I really do not like the way Win7 and Vista have decided I must put stuff in the folders with the names they assign such as My Documents etc.

When or If Avant comes out with a version for Vista & Win 7 I may switch and pay as I really like the program.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:12 PM
  • w_i_b THANKS for your help. I have been using PD since version #1 I think? and was searching for help...luckily I saw your suggestion Ultra Explorer..it downloaded in a flash and installed in Win-7 in a second! I look forward to using for many years! I,too, suffered with Avanquest and swore never to use any of their products! what a relief!
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:49 AM
  • I also have major problems with Powerdesk pro7 and Win 7 64 bit and continue to get the royal run around from Avanquest . I have been a faithful subscriber for the past 3 versions but as much as I enjoyed PowerdDesk  I don't enjoy dealing with Avanquest I have bought Directory Opus 9 and it works great with 64 bit I will never return to PowerDesk.
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Powerdesk 8 for W7 is now available www.avanquest.com. Upgrade price currently US$19. I've always got a response from Avanquest. I found Ultraexplorer very confusing even though it is free.

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by Stephenbuck Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:23 AM
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:21 AM
  • I swore I wouldn't, after the poor support from Avanquest, but I did anyway and upgraded to PowerDesk Pro 8 and I'm glad I did. The problem I had with long, long startup times (40-45 seconds) is gone. Now opens in 3 to 4 seconds.

Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 3:55 PM
  • I swore I wouldn't, after the poor support from Avanquest, but I did anyway and upgraded to PowerDesk Pro 8 and I'm glad I did. The problem I had with long, long startup times (40-45 seconds) is gone. Now opens in 3 to 4 seconds.

Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal

OK Good News, I guess. Do they restrict the license to a single PC?
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 4:14 PM
  • I would say yes, but I can't find an EULA anywhere, either on their web site or in the installation on my Win 7 Pro system.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 1:11 AM
  • I wonder if this is a legitimate announcement, or a possible scam. The VCom/Avanquest website doesn't make any mention of PowerDesk-8. But they barely support or market PowerDesk, so its a possibilility.  I tried to contact Avanquest to ask, but, as usual, Avanquest support is almost non-existent.

Also, I wouldn't expect anything from the upgrade other than a bare minimum ... to maybe have it work a bit better with Win-7 than it did. Hopefully, I'd be wrong, and it might be a significant upgrade. But I have my doubts.

Monday, May 31, 2010 10:27 PM
  • It's not a scam. I've already downloaded and installed it and it fixed the problem I was having with long start times so I'm happy that I can now use it again. The retail site is here: PowerDesk Pro 8 | File Management Software
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 12:48 AM
  •  

found power desk interfered with windows.  I wish someone would resurrect xtree gold

Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:05 PM
  • I purchased the PowerDesk 8 upgrade, and so far have been satisfied with it. Not much for $20, however. Little or no functional improvements or features.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:06 PM
  • l_d_allan, are you using it on 32 or 64-bit W7 ? I've loved PD since forever, but W7 destroyed version 6 and I've barely seen one comment by a satisfied user since. I would *really* like to hear that v8 works on W7x64, but I'm not holding my breath. Also, at 103MB it sounds like an awful lot of bloat.

I've been using ultraexplorer for a little while, and it's not bad but it has a couple of quirks/bugs, and it doesn't seem to be getting any updates.

xyplorer is also quite capable, but I was spoilt in the early days by PD.

Please, will you keep this thread updated with critical commentary of PD8?

Thanks, Roger

Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:42 AM
  • Been using PD for a number of years. Tolerated flaky behavior  on a Win7 64 bit and a Vista 32 bit machine.

Bought Ver 8  and am basically satisfied with it under both OS.  A few minor differences (File Searcch) but basically same as earlier versions.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:55 AM
  • are you using it on 32 or 64-bit W7 ?

PD8 seems to be working fine with W7-64 (knock wood, cross fingers, PTL, count blessings <g>).

I started using PD in the mid-90's, and used XTree back in the 80's.

I was able to get PD6 working .... mostly .... with W7-64, but had trouble getting the updates installed unless I did some "hold your nose" over-writing of files. Based on screen shots, I didn't bother with PD7 (as I didn't upgrade to Vista).

I did q/d evaluations of a number of competitiors for PD, but didn't encounter any I was satisfied with.

FYI: my preference would be an open source utility that is actively maintained/updated. If that isn't available, I'm ok with commercial, but expect it to be updated regularrly (which isn't really the case with PD, imo).

• Edited by l_d_allan Monday, August 23, 2010 11:03 AM typo
    Monday, August 23, 2010 11:03 AM
  • Hi. I have used Powerdesk ever since it was PCShell. V5 worked very well for me. But finally I upgraded to V8 in order to get better viewer filters etc.

I installed it on my XP desktop, and it totally destroyed my system. I had to reinstall Windows from scratch. Avanquest advised me that the problem was an outdated Windows installer, and recommended http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4

This appeared to have worked and I am now using V8 happily. There may have also been an interactiod with CA Antivirus, which kept giving me messages to the effect that three threats had been removed - without any means to find out what they were or how to stop it. THe lastest CA AV seems to have stopped that.

After a couple of months running V8, I stupidly tried installing it on my laptop. It is now stone dead. Stupidly I did not try the installer upgrade first - getting old I guess.

I will rebuild the laptop and try again.

BTW Powerdesk 7 I sent back for a refund. It kept crashing when I synchronized directories of any great length. Avanquest had no problem attending to my needs. Powerdesk is still the single "MUST HAVE" piece of software on a PC I think.

Ian

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 2:10 AM
  • BTW. I don't understand why XP Windows installer/updater software was never updated automatically. This should be fixed by Microsoft.

Ian

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 2:14 AM
  • They have he same problem in Powerdesk 8, lightening, fix-it, etc. For that reason I have stopped purchasing their software. They are ripping off the public.
    Saturday, January 1, 2011 1:13 AM
  • Yes they do, and I have been waiting 2 weeks for an answer and still they have not replied. If you hae to rebuild your system, it will not work with the same code.
    • Proposed as answer by MeAlso Friday, January 11, 2013 6:03 PM
    Saturday, January 1, 2011 1:20 AM
  • Avanquest and Powerdesk deserve lots of flak for their awful response to Windows 7.

But even more than that, Windows deserves even more flak for f******g up everything in Windows 7.  For goodness sake, there does not seem to be a single advantage in Windows 7 over Windows XP. (We'll forget Vista, and I haven't even started on Windows 8).

It is a complete disgrace how Microsoft try and force everyone to follow their ridiculous "logic"!

Mandy

Friday, January 11, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Obviously no idea what you are talking about.  MS-DOS is even better.  Go for it.  W7 has it all over XP.  Let me guess, you run as Admin all the time. 

MS didn't force anyone.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 3:51 AM
  • https://explorerplusplus.com/features

may not be PD but at least its an upgrade to micro-Gates stolen  bloatware.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:41 AM
  • you're right in so many ways, but XP 64bit was never supported by micro-shaft, even after they charged consumers  like a wounded bull, for it.  Windows 7/8 software compatibility is hit and miss at best, win 10 is worse atm. If we didn't have brown lips, like the guy, who responded to you, defending them at every turn, Microsoft would be forced to put out better products. It wont support indeo, broke power desk, removed outlook express. Broke Too much to list. They forced consumers away from XP by stopping support for it, to both consumers and third party developers. I would have been quite happy to pay for another license, for renewed support. (Maybe, they never gave any proper support for 64bit xp.)   At least they should have better windows 7/8/10 support for old drivers and software. Consumers don't want to spend their short lives fighting an buggy operating system. They want an operating system, to operate their programs in a timely and efficient manner. You know, like apple used to do.
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 6:32 AM