Unallocated Drive shows as GPT Protective Partition in Windows XP SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed a Windows XP SP3/Windows 7 Pro 32 bit dual boot. I am presently running a Core Duo System with 4GB DDR2 RAM. I have 2x1TB HDD internally and a 1TB and 500GB external Drives. The 1TB offline is a SATA Raid and the 500GB is a Sata link. When I ran Windows 7 alone, and dual booted with Linux I have had no difficulties in mounting all drives.

Now that I have set up the Dual Boot, Windows 7 recognises the 500GB as unallocated, but Windows XP SP3 can on see a GPT Protective Partition.

I want to solve this as quickly as possible in order to split the Drive and use it to back up both systems which, unlike earlier dual boot evaluations, will be running for some time, with critical data on the XP system.

Can anybody help?

Ropate
    Friday, January 7, 2011 10:46 PM

All replies

• If 7 sees the drive as unallocated, you should try to format it, possibly with the xp setup up and running. You are aware that 7 sets itself up with three partitions, right ? I would check to make sure the partition hasn't been reserved for use by the linux, also, as the gpt reserved would usually imply that there is a volume stretched dynamically across the disks.
    "http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/default.aspx/". This is MICROSOFT'S new, FREE, fully automated, anonymous support portal, which can help users resolve windows and other product issues with a few mouse clicks. BOOKMARK THIS SITE, EVERYBODY !!!
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 8:11 AM
  • The Disk was formatted, when first shown as gpt. I subsequently deleted the partition in 7, but xp still only recognised gpt. I have subsequently split the disk into two partitions - one for 7 back up and one for XP back up. Xp still does not recognise other than gpt.

This particular drive has only ever been used for offline storage, and is an external satalink.

Ropate
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 3:47 AM
  • You need to use the disk administrator in xp to import the disk, or use the "diskpart" command from the command prompt. To use this with xp, the format will have to originate from xp. This appears to be something about how seven claims a disk and security measures between xp and seven.
    "http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/default.aspx/". This is MICROSOFT'S new, FREE, fully automated, anonymous support portal, which can help users resolve windows and other product issues with a few mouse clicks. BOOKMARK THIS SITE, EVERYBODY !!!
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:27 AM