Adding A New Web Application Proxy Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm looking to add a new and separate Web Application Proxy server to our existing ADFS and WAP configuration. We currently have a hybrid on-prem and office 365 configuration that relies on ADFS to authenticate cloud mailboxes while the user accounts are hosted on on-prem. We have an existing web application proxy configuration that is set up with load balancing. What I would like to do it install a new web application proxy server and have it only be used to authenticate for a back end web application. What I don't want to do it combine the Office 365 authentication and the authentication for the new web application on the same WAP servers. It seems simple enough but I want to verify that if I bring a new WAP server up and it will not mingle with the other WAP servers already in existence? The two in place need to only authenticate for office 365. They are very busy and we cannot have any configuration issues due to the introduction of the new web app. The reason for my concern is there is very little information about having multiple web application proxy servers except when they are configured as a load balanced cluster. 

I keep reading this which makes me wonder if I install the new WAP server and publish the back end web app with it, the other WAP servers will become aware of the back end web app even though the new WAP server will not be part of the load balanced cluster that the existing WAP server are part of.

From TechNet - Plan Multiple Servers

The Web Application Proxy configuration is stored on the AD FS servers in your organization. After configuring the first Web Application Proxy server, you can install additional Web Application Proxy servers to create a multiple server deployment. When you install the role service on the new server in the multiple server deployment, the configuration is automatically transferred to the new server after completing the Web Application Proxy Configuration Wizard.

Any advise is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:15 PM

Answers

• All WAPs of a farm are using the same configuration (so they all have the same publications). However, it is your call to add the nodes you want into your load balancer cluster. For example, you can have 4 WAP, and publish 2 apps: App1 and App2. You can create two load balancer clusters, one for App1 which include WAP1 and WAP2 and one for App2 including WAP3 and WAP4. The farm is agnostic of that configuration, but it just works :)

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:23 PM

All replies

• All WAPs of a farm are using the same configuration (so they all have the same publications). However, it is your call to add the nodes you want into your load balancer cluster. For example, you can have 4 WAP, and publish 2 apps: App1 and App2. You can create two load balancer clusters, one for App1 which include WAP1 and WAP2 and one for App2 including WAP3 and WAP4. The farm is agnostic of that configuration, but it just works :)

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:23 PM
  • Thank you!

It's what I was expecting to hear but thanks for the verification.

Aaron

Monday, June 5, 2017 4:25 PM