none
INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE after Windows Server 2016 Update KB4284880 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Ms Tech

I have a server Dell Power Edge R730 running Windows server 2016. Last night i have updated windows Update KB4284880.

My server probilem boot windows error BSOD INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE dump blue screen. Now i can not logon to windows server.

I take following guide some:

1.Try  to boot safe mode=> Not access=>dump=>NACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

2. Truy to boof cmd in safe mode=>Not access=>dump=>NACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

3. After i have a DVD ISO Windows Server 2016 run repair in CMD

Get packages:

I check theses packages: pack_...14393.2312=>KB4284880 (date : June-06)

pack_...14393.2362=> KB4338814(date: Jun-07), 

pack_...14393.2430=>KB4343887(date: Agust-14), 

I truy to remove packages pending => Reboot still not resolve my problem Inaccessible boot device

4.I also try to run cmd : bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /fixboot, bootrec /scanos,..

5. other Method : 

ren C:\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT DEFAULT.old   

ren C:\Windows\System32\config\SAM SAM.old    

ren C:\Windows\System32\config\SECURITY SECURITY.old    

ren C:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE SOFTWARE.old    

ren C:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM SYSTEM.old

copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\DEFAULT C:\Windows\System32\config\   

copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SAM C:\Windows\System32\config\    

copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SECURITY C:\Windows\System32\config\    

copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SYSTEM C:\Windows\System32\config\    

copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SOFTWARE C:\Windows\System32\config\

6. Guide follow MS 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4049094/windows-devices-may-fail-to-boot-after-installing-october-10-version-o 

7. I taked update last Firmware for Dell Server.

All the methods I tried tried are still boot errors

Please help me resolve

Recently, the KB of windows server 2016 has too many faults for our server system. I really do not dare turn on the auto update feature of windows anymore. Each time is turned on is the fear of server failure or boot failure.

Sunday, September 9, 2018 5:03 AM

Answers

• System restore, backup image or clean install are often the quickest way to recovery.

For system restore there may be no restore points or system restore does not restore.

For clean install it almost always works but there is the loss of important files.  And some applications over time may no longer be available to download.

Consider making backup images with free software.  For a fee there are more features for the software.

These are some third party software that may come in handy if there is another failure (corrupt operating system or registry, boot failure, malware, ransomware, etc.)

Acronis, Aoemi, EaseUS, Macrium, Paragon, etc.

Monday, September 10, 2018 8:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you still receive BSOD, remove the next latest update , please try it again.

Please understand, to solidly troubleshoot the crash issue, we generally need to debug the crash dump files. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. We can only provide some general suggestions here. 
    If the issue still occurs, a support call to our product service team is needed for the debugging service. We'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers  

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, September 10, 2018 6:34 AM
  • In the opening post there were some command and results were seen.

There were other commands ran but there were no results seen.

When troubleshooting the results are useful.

There can be:  error codes, error messages, access denied, 0 editions of windows found, etc.

All of the commands and the displayed results can be useful in the troubleshooting.

The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bug check has a value of 0x0000007B. This bug check indicates that the Microsoft Windows operating system has lost access to the system partition during startup.

1) What happened with startup repair? 

a) Did it create a srttrail log file? 

b) See if you can run startup repair and post this log file into the thread

2) What happened with system restore? 

a) Were there any old system restore points? 

b) Had you tried all system restore points or were none available?

3) What is the status of the folders and files on the computer?

a) Had important files been backed up to another drive or to the cloud?

b) Had a backup image been made?

4) What was the link that was used to run the regback commands?

a) what results were seen for each command?

5) Open the website for the computer > support > enter the product or serial number or model > select the operating system > view drivers and BIOS > post a URL or Hyperlink into the thread

6) Post into the thread the link that was used to create the iso.

10) Find a camera or smart phone camera and take pictures of all commands and results and post them into the thread.

11) Open command prompt > Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>

Type these commands.  Any comments are in parenthesis.

12) diskpart

13) list disk

14) list volume

15) select disk 0

16) detail disk

17) list partition

18) select partition 1

19) detail partition

20) select partition 2

21) detail partition

22) select partition 3

23) detail partition

24) select partition 4

25) detail partition

(If there are any additional partitions on disk 0 continue in the same fashion)

26) select disk 1

27) detail disk

28) list partition

29) exit

30) bcdedit /enum

31) bcdedit |find "osdevice"

32) c:

33) dir

34) d: 

35) dir

36) e:

37) dir

38) x:

39) chkdsk /r Q:

(change the letter Q to the partition letter seen in step #31)

(This may take many hours and typically displays ETA)

(Reboot as necessary)

40) (reopen command prompt > administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources: and type:)

41) sfc /scannow /offbootdir=Q:\ /offwindir=Q:\windows

(change the drive letters Q to the partition letter seen in step #31)

42) bootrec /fixmbr

43) bootrec /fixboot

44) bootrec /scanos

45) bootrec /rebuildbcd

46) (reboot)

47) Please post images of all commands and result into the thread.

Monday, September 10, 2018 8:03 AM
  • Hi questionsformicrosoftproducts

Now i plan to install windows server. Because my server is busisess no downtimes.

About theses step:

Step 11->46 all sucessfull, because i install windows so i no capture.

41 sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c: /offwindir=c:\windows=> windows scan identity 0 

Thanks

Monday, September 10, 2018 3:01 PM
  • System restore, backup image or clean install are often the quickest way to recovery.

For system restore there may be no restore points or system restore does not restore.

For clean install it almost always works but there is the loss of important files.  And some applications over time may no longer be available to download.

Consider making backup images with free software.  For a fee there are more features for the software.

These are some third party software that may come in handy if there is another failure (corrupt operating system or registry, boot failure, malware, ransomware, etc.)

Acronis, Aoemi, EaseUS, Macrium, Paragon, etc.

Monday, September 10, 2018 8:09 PM