none
Default to wildcard search in FSIS IMS RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to default to a wildcard search of single terms in FSIS IMS? My users are trying to get results without having to type the * or ? to get the result. They believe this is the same functionality as google, bing, yahoo provide today, but I'm not convienced.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Monday, January 7, 2013 1:58 PM

All replies

• By default, the search doesn`t use wildcard search unless you actually supply a wildcard operator in conjuction with one of your search token.
    It might be possible to modify user queries in the contect object to automatically add wildcard operators, but would be a bad approach as this will dilute results. It seems to be the functionality the end user is looking for is "Did you mean" suggestion as opposed to wildcard.

Monday, January 7, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Thanks Patrick. My customer really is looking for a defaulted wildcard and not the did you mean. Maybe defaulted wildcard is not the right question. Basically they are wanting the search to find partical part of words. Example: a sharepoint blog post contains GPHOMEW05 and the user searches for GPHOME. Without putting GPHOME*, no documents are found. They are wanting it to return the post just like they put in GPHOME* without putting in the wildcard. Does that help clarify my question?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Monday, January 7, 2013 8:07 PM
  • Jeremy,
    That clarifies the question, however I don`t think OOB wildcard queries will work like this.
    Since the customer referred to Google/Bing as having this functionality, are they refering to auto query completion ?

Monday, January 7, 2013 10:12 PM
  • Thanks Patrick. They want the auto query completion as well, but that is different than this request. So do you think we could resubmit the query with a wildcard in the terms if we get zero results kind of like the "Did You Mean" functionality?  Or maybe I can just put the wildcard suggestion in the No results error message.
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Jeremy,
    Theoretically, these approaches may look good but it seems like it will require lot of customization.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:49 PM