none
Manual Sync makes backup client unuseable RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a Win 2003 File Server that is backed up with DPM 2010.  The Replica is inconsistent.  I've tried a manual sync but after about an hour it makes the File Server inaccesable.  Do to the size of the Replica I can't get it to finish when I run a manual sync during off hours.  Is there anyway I can give the DPM agent on the File Server a lower priority?

Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Morakon,

are you running some kind of virrusscanner?are the DPM processes excluded?

is there anything in the evetlog that gives you a clue?

regards,

ALex

Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Hi Alex,

The logs look good to me.  I'll look into the AV.  I don't remember excluding anything.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Hi,

Is the file server console responsive during the manual sync? If not, you may want to do some performance logging on it. If, however the console is responsive, but clients cannot access it across the network, you coud try enabling Bandwidth Throttling for DPM. Details here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399514.aspx

Thanks,

Marc

Thursday, January 20, 2011 9:28 PM
  • Hi,

I made the AV exclusions and it didn't really help. Thanks for pointing that out Alex it should help with keeping the replica's consistent.  It's definately not a bandwidth issue since I had only transfered 180MB over two hrs when the server became useless.  The file server console was not responsive.  So I'll look into some performance logging.

Friday, January 21, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Morakon,

Is the issue still present?

Can you clarify - what exactly you meant by "Server became useless". Is the server not responding or file server in accessible? What is the size of data being backed? WHat is the processor and RAM of the Server being protected? what is the n/w bandwidth?

Thanks,

GeethaKrishna, [As is provided without warranties and confers no rights]

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 7:02 AM
  • Hello,

Also what on this file server is exactly being backed up?
    System State? BMR? All of the C:?

As previously stated, we need a little more detail on the behavoir that you are seeing so if you can fill in the gaps for us it will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Shane
    • Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Friday, September 9, 2011 12:55 PM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:05 PM