Problem Exporting Scorecards RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm having a problem exporting scorecards to PowerPoint or Excel. The data gets exported correctly when the scorecard columns and rows are all defined in design time, but when I try to export a scorecard whose rows or columns are dependent on a certain filter, an empty scorecard is exported; only the column and row headers appear but the data and the KPI visualization are not there. Any clues?

Thanks

Thursday, December 6, 2007 1:36 PM

All replies

• How are you exporting scorecards to PowerPoint or Excel?  Is it

1) You navigate to the Dashboard containing the Scorecard in your web browser, and click "Export to Excel" (or PowerPoint) from the drop down menu to the right of the Scorecard.  The Scorecard appears properly filtered and contains the data and KPI visualizations on the face of the Dashboard in the web browser, but appears broken when exported to Excel or PowerPoint.  Is this your case?

... or ...

2) You've written custom code that exports scorecards to PowerPoint or Excel and are having trouble.

... or ...

3) Some other case?

Thursday, December 6, 2007 1:59 PM
  • My case is the first one. In the Dashboard page in IE the scorecard is properly rendered. When I export to Excel or PowerPoint from the button provided by PPS by default it exports only the scorecard structure (rows and columns) but not the KPI data. This behavior has been noticed only in scorecards whose rows or columns are linked to a filter, but for those where neither rows or columns are linked the export works properly.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:18 PM
  • This is really strange.  There is no difference in the code that renders the underlying GridViewData whether its being rendered for the web or being rendered for purposes of the export.  The code is the same.  The insertion of filters into the code that generates that GridViewData is identical.  I'm not doubting your circumstances at all, but filtered scorecards export to Excel on all our internal tests all the time.  There must be some other ingredient in the mix that, in combination with filters, is exacerbating some weakness in the export code.  Can you please log a support call for this, so that our resources can replicate the problem in house?

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:05 PM
  • Hello,

I did some more experiments with the scorecards and I found out that the real factor that was causing the problem was the elements in the scorecard, not its dependency on filters. The scorecards having the export problem have the following in common:

Case 1:

1. KPI name displayed on the scorecard rows and the mertics displayed on the columns.
    2. Dimension Members displayed on the columns, above the KPI metrics.
    3. KPI name is overridden by a space (I did not want the KPI name to appear).

Case 2:

1. KPI name displayed on the scorecard rows and the mertics displayed on the columns.
    2. Dimension Members displayed on the rows, below the KPI name.
    3. The first scorecard row set to 'hide' (the one featuring the KPI name, since this row was showing a roll-up for the dimension members displayed. I want the KPI visualizations and values to appear for every dimension member on the rows, but not a row featuring a roll-up for them).

I could avoid overriding the KPI name as a way to solve the problem with case 1, but is there a way to solve the case 2 export problem, keeping the KPI name and roll-up value hidden?

Thanks

Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Wow, good sleuthing, Katara.  Can you craft an example of your Case 2 Scorecard that reads the Adventure Works database?  (Or has fixed values?)  Could you email me the bswx file that contains your example?  (I am ericfr@microsoft.com.)  If a theory I have is correct, I may have a workaround for you.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Katara,

Thanks for sending me the bswx offline.  I don't think I've got a quick workaround for you, and I think you've got a legit bug, here.  Please contact Microsoft Support through http://support.microsoft.com/contactussupport/?ws=support and ask them to file a bug.  That will get it in the queue.  Thanks for the "above and beyond the call of duty" effort on this one.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:13 AM
  • Eric,

You're welcomed and thanks for investigating the issue. I sort of got lost in the Help and Support page. Is there a section just related to filing a bug, or you meant I'd contact them by phone?
    Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:58 PM
  • Yes, please contact support directly, by phone is easiest.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 8:51 PM