none
custom category to filter projects does not seem to work with RBS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all I'd like a custom category such that executives in one region of a company (Say Canada) only see canadian projects and other execs in US for example only see US projects. This is MOPS 2010, December CU.

So I thought with a custom category that includes projects if "the owner is a descendant of the user via RBS" would be the way to do it.(I also created a security group based on the executives security template which has the new category attached to it and the exec user is in this group.)

Thus executive user with RBS CompanyA.Canada would see a project if the owner had an RBS of CompanyA.Canada.IT.Management (a descendant).

However the executive sees nothing in the project center summary view. Am I missing something?

Also if I then changed the project owner so that the owner was now not a descendant would be Canada executive and former project owner lose all rights to the project? That is what I would expect but seems to be not the case.

thanks!

Ray

Ray Letts Arbutus Solutions
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:52 PM

Answers

• My recommendation would be to first download the 2007 View Effective Rights
    tool and try that.  It more or less works in 2010 and may point you in the
    right direction.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:21 PM

All replies

• My recommendation would be to first download the 2007 View Effective Rights
    tool and try that.  It more or less works in 2010 and may point you in the
    right direction.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Thanks Andrew. The tool does run for viewing effective rights with projects but I should let you know it does crash when trying with views (2nd option.)

Anyways I do see a red 'Deny' permission. I don't remember setting any hard denies as I know it is not a good thing to do but went thru the security group anyways and don't see any hard denies set in the category/security group that user was in.

If i change the user to the project managers group they then see the one canadian project in project center summary view. The effective rights tool still says 'Deny' for that user on that project checking the permission "Category - View Project Summary in Project Center" 

at that point even if I restart the tool it still says Deny (in case of caching) so that makes me go hmmmm.

Ray Letts Arbutus Solutions
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:59 PM
  • To jump in here...  If you have a red cross, then the permission is set to deny, usually within the Project Web App permissions.  Check that 1st.  Then, I would remove all groups and categories from the user, and just assign the group you created.  Using delegation you should be able to test this user's rights very easily.  There is no easy answer here, just good old fashioned troubleshooting, and you are on the right lines using the RBS, perhaps it just needs some tweaking.
    Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:38 PM