Windows 10 1703, oobe not asking for product key. RRS feed

• Question

• For preloaded windows 10 I have usually used the following workflow.

Load 10 from usb, select no product key and select the correct version I want to preinstall (Professional)

At the oobe screen, do the crtl-leftshift-f3 and unlock the os.

Load my drivers, customize my oem information, and perform updates.

Select shutdown and generalize image.

Boot to winpe and use dism to capture and then deploy the image.

Everything works fine, and I can deploy to new units but the new OOBE never asks for the product key.

You can do it by going into settings/activation and selecting change product key, but it really should ask for that in the initial OOBE steps. 

These steps work on Windows 10 1151 and 1607, and also Server 2012, 2012 R2 and 2016... So why the change for 1703? 

And is there a way to correct this behavior?

Monday, June 26, 2017 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

As far as I know, Windows 10 does not ask for product key during OOBE process. It asks for product key before OOBE process. If I am right, it should ask for product key during collecting information process as shown below.

So, did you mean it will ask for product key again during OOBE process if you skip this process when deploy Windows 10 1151 and 1607? But, Windows 10 1703 will not ask for product key, right? I will appreciate it if you could provide a screenshot about your issue, which will be very helpful for us to understand your requirements.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:22 AM
  • ""So, did you mean it will ask for product key again during OOBE process if you skip this process when deploy Windows 10 1151 and 1607? But, Windows 10 1703 will not ask for product key, right? ""

That's exactly what I meant, so there's really nothing to screenshot.

My end users aren't going to install windows from scratch, I'm a system builder, and this is the first version of windows that doesn't ask for the key when coming out of sysprep.

• Proposed as answer by BGeertsen Monday, August 28, 2017 7:49 AM
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 12:08 PM
  • Hi ,

It seems that you are not the only one who faces this. I found some similar cases. You could use the built-in Feedback Hub to submit this situation to system product team on your side. We will be investigating this further.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/install-win-10-1073-using-adk-oobe-does-not-ask/6844ec1c-985e-451f-8ad9-1fed5256b819
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/23e66234-c33e-45e8-8264-0affff3079ac/cant-get-windows-10-creators-update-to-ask-for-product-key-during-oobe?forum=mdt

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:13 AM
  • I have the same issue, with missing Product Key menu, after have run sysprep / OOBE.  Installation done from a Win10 pro 1703 OEM installation DVD PN 2409253 FQC-8929, on a new “clean” HDD,

It seem to have something to do with the product key used in the autounattend  file in    

<settings pass="windowsPE"> / <UserDat< <ProductKey>

If I use the Windows 10 Pro installations product key XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-T83GX in the unattend file , it will not work in version 1607 or 1703.

If I use the product key XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-46YP4  in the same unattend file it work OK on version 1607 but still not in 1703

No matter what I have done in XML files, or using Microsoft Express Deployment Tool,  "EDT"  for Windows 10,  OOBE always jump the menu for entering product key over in 1703.

If I make a 1607 Image with "EDT` it work OK with the "Product Key" in OOBE , so there is a "bug" in 1703  

All tools for deployment used in 1703 is for this version

Friday, July 14, 2017 1:24 PM
  • Hi BGeertsen,

Did you find any solution? I got the same issue. I tried everything the 1703 build won't have the product key entering screen popup during OOBE. I used the same autounattend.xml with the 1607 build without any problem.

best regards,

Rico

Rico Tam

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 7:23 PM
  • Hi Rico

Sorry I have no solutions for this -  I have used a lot of time and tried everything with 1703, it wont work

I have open a new case " Windows 10 1703 OEM doesn’t ask for product key after OOBE" and hope Microsoft wake up, becouse we  cant sell new PC with Win10 v.1703 to end user wiht this fault.     

best regards

Ben                             "  

Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:55 AM
  • I'm facing the same issue. I don't want end users ringing with activation problems & me having to explain they need to click on "change product key".

What is the point of having "Default Product Keys to be used without OEM Activation 3.0" if they do nothing useful anymore?

It was midway through 1607 that something changed in one of the CU's...

Monday, August 7, 2017 2:29 AM
  • Hello,

This is an old but relevant issue.

What are system builders doing to their deployments to ensure end-users get requested a product-key entry?

It seems the only way around this is to pre-populate unique keys on each system?

Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:45 PM
  • Hello,

This is an old but relevant issue.

What are system builders doing to their deployments to ensure end-users get requested a product-key entry?

It seems the only way around this is to pre-populate unique keys on each system?

I'm still using the Default Keys in all my images. For a system using COA I'm leaving a shortcut on the desktop that runs a batch file. It checks if windows is licensed. If so it just deletes itself. If not it runs "Slui 3" so the end user can enter their key.

@echo off
    if not DEFINED IS_MINIMIZED set IS_MINIMIZED=1 && start "" /min "%~dpnx0" %* && exit

for /f "tokens=3 delims=: " %%a in (
        'cscript //nologo "%systemroot%\system32\slmgr.vbs" /dli ^| find "License Status:"' 
    ) do set "licenseStatus=%%a"

if /i "%licenseStatus%"=="Licensed" (
        echo msgbox "Windows 10 is already Activated" > %tmp%\tmp.vbs
        cscript /nologo %tmp%\tmp.vbs
        del %tmp%\tmp.vbs
        del "%SystemDrive%\Users\Public\Desktop\Activate Product.lnk" /Y
    ) else (
        %windir%\System32\SLUI.exe 3
    )

exit

Thursday, February 22, 2018 10:04 PM