We are getting "Document is currently in use. Try again later" RRS feed

• Question

• Some Windows 7 users are experiencing the following message when trying to open more than one document at a time in MS Word 2010 -

<Document> is currently in use.  Try again later.

This happens on all files and once you close the currently open document, you can then open the next one.  All of these documents are stored on a Windows 2003 File Server.  We have already tried the following:
    - Used the explicit Share versus using DFS
    - Opening the Word doc from inside Word versus the File Manager
    - Checking the locks on the File Server

None of these has made any difference in the opening of multiple documents.

If we copy the file to the local Hard Drive, then I can open four documents without ever getting the error message.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Could you share more detail about how you share these document?

Also,

• Try start Word with /safe command switch, and open these documents from Word, to determine if this could be caused by the 3rd-party addins or something else.
    • Try start Word with /a command switch, and open these documents from Word, to determine if this could be caused by the improper modified settings.
    • Try use the Process Moniter to capture more detail when the issue occurs.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Max Meng Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:35 AM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:32 AM
  • This is from her personal home directory and she is the only user using them.  Each user has a directory that they and the domain admins can access.  Sometime it works fine, sometime it generates that error.  If I copy the files locally, then I can open 10 documents at a time with no errors.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:07 PM