none
Set "Adjust for best performance" on Server 2012 R2 RDS for all users

Question

• I am trying to force this setting: 

for all users that log in to the 2012 R2 RDS session host servers via GPO. I have set up GPO as shown in this article:
    The GPO is applying to users, and when I open the advanced system settings I see the "Adjust for best performance" box is checked and settings look to be correct, however they are not valid. 
    For example, the setting:
    "Show window contents while dragging" is unchecked, but when dragging a window the contents are shown. If I manually check that box and uncheck it, then click Apply, the setting takes affect and contents are not shown when dragging a window. 
    Any ideas? Thanks in advance. 
    Monday, August 15, 2016 3:04 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Please logon using a user that you have NOT adjusted manually then check the value of this registry key "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\‌Software\Microsoft\Wi‌ndows\CurrentVersion\‌Explorer\VisualEffect‌s]".

Log the values that you see and then configure the user profile for best performance manually and then observe the change in the values and the create a group policy that applies these registry modifications to users.

Awaiting your feedback,
    Regards,
    (Abdullah)^2

For every action, there is a reaction!

Monday, August 15, 2016 11:29 PM
  • Hi,
    Have you tried to restart the computer and then see if the "Adjust for best performance" is valid?
    Restarting a PC is a good way to clear out its memory and ensure that any errant processes and services that started running get shut down.
    Restarting closes all the software running on your PC—not only the programs you see running on the taskbar, but also dozens of services that might have been started by various programs and never stopped. Restarting can fix mysterious performance problems when the exact cause is hard to pinpoint.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please logon using a user that you have NOT adjusted manually then check the value of this registry key "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\‌Software\Microsoft\Wi‌ndows\CurrentVersion\‌Explorer\VisualEffect‌s]".

Log the values that you see and then configure the user profile for best performance manually and then observe the change in the values and the create a group policy that applies these registry modifications to users.

Awaiting your feedback,
    Regards,
    (Abdullah)^2

For every action, there is a reaction!

Monday, August 15, 2016 11:29 PM
  • Hi,
    Have you tried to restart the computer and then see if the "Adjust for best performance" is valid?
    Restarting a PC is a good way to clear out its memory and ensure that any errant processes and services that started running get shut down.
    Restarting closes all the software running on your PC—not only the programs you see running on the taskbar, but also dozens of services that might have been started by various programs and never stopped. Restarting can fix mysterious performance problems when the exact cause is hard to pinpoint.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 6:20 AM