none
Processor utilization of guest exceeds CPU capacity available on host RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to determine exactly why I am getting "Processor utilization of guest exceeds CPU capacity available on host" for 3 machines.  Even if I try to consolidate just 1 of these machines with no others selected, I get the same results.

The physical machine to be virtualized has 2 procs, with 6 cores with HT so 24 logical processors using Intel X5650's.  From the placement metrics summary, the average CPU time is 29.41%, max is 51.16% and 95th is 30.55%. 

The host configuration has 2 procs with 10 cores with HT so 40 logical processors using E7-2850's.  I even tried a different hardware configuration using 4 procs and still same results. 

In comparison, I have another physical box with same hardware and the average CPU time is 18.2%, max is 20.11% and 95th is 19.15% and it can be placed just fine. 

The Server Proposal report shows the average CPU being 30.87% and the wizard was run with host utilization settings for proc at 100% and perf was collected over 24 hours. So what is the actual formula to determine if the guest will exceed CPU capacity?  If the average is 30% and the host threshold was 100%, then why cant it not be placed?

Thanks.. Jeff

Saturday, December 10, 2011 12:59 AM

All replies

• Can you send the PerfMetricsResults and ServerVirtRecommendation reports to mapfdbk@microsoft.com so that we can investigate this further?
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:59 PM