Help - No packages to install !! RRS feed

• Question

• hi all - wondered if anyone has any ideas on this.

I have created several packages on sce2007 that clients will be able to install from add-remove programs should they wish too.  i.e. shickwave player, acrobat reader etc....

i have a test Pc which i have tested that they can be seen on by looking at the Add new programs tab within Add'Remove programs.   but none of the clients can see them.  if i log onto a client Pc with my account (member of domain admins) i can see the updates but clients (none of which have local admins) cannot see anything - it just says "no programs are available on the network"....

any ideas......

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 9:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

On pre-Vista operating systems, updates that are published to Add/Remove Programs will only be seen by users who are local Administrators on the client computer. On Vista systems, the user will receive a User Account Control prompt when they select to install the update, and the user rights will NOT be elevated when the installation is run.

So if you want to user install the software which has been published to "add/remove programs", you need to make sure the user has the local administrator privilege to install it.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 5:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

On pre-Vista operating systems, updates that are published to Add/Remove Programs will only be seen by users who are local Administrators on the client computer. On Vista systems, the user will receive a User Account Control prompt when they select to install the update, and the user rights will NOT be elevated when the installation is run.

So if you want to user install the software which has been published to "add/remove programs", you need to make sure the user has the local administrator privilege to install it.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 5:40 AM
  •  

oh thats a bummer....none of our users have local admins and we'd rather not give it to them.  nevermind.

thanks for the info anyway Eric.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 11:58 AM