Spoolsv.exe Changes to Phoenix version on Boot RRS feed

• Question

• After having problems with printers greying out in Devices and Printers, I eventually found that c:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe, which should be Microsoft and 780k, was actually Phoenix Industries and 43k. This change happens every time I boot the system. I tried changing attributes to hidden, system and read-only and changed the security settings to allow System read/read-execute and denied write access. On re-boot, as usual spoolsv.exe was the Phoenix version. So, how can a system file be changed without authority on boot? The only Phoenix hardware/software on my laptop is the BIOS and the file times are always the boot time.

I have contacted Phoenix but as the laptop is a Dell, they say that Dell alters the BIOS and they are not able to help in any way. Dell just seem to ignore BIOS problems.

A friend has recently bought a new laptop with UEFI instead of BIOS and this does not suffer the same problem so the fault appears to be BIOS related, but how can BIOS write a file to Windows?

The work-round is the batch file I wrote after copying the genuine spoolsv.exe to c:\ and this works every time:

Nnet stop spooler

del c:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe

copy c:\spoolsv.exe c:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe

net start spooler

create a shortcut and set it to Run as Administrator. This will cure the problem every time.

I would be interested in whether this only occurs with Dell or Alienware laptops or whether other manufacturers have used Phoenix BIOS and had this problem especially as it appears to have been happening for at least 10 years maybe more!

Thursday, January 15, 2015 3:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Julian,

Just as you said, that is a Phoenix Technology. It would appear that the fault only happens on systems that have a Phoenix bios and the Phoenix fail safe technology. So far there is no other solution except for the workaround you have known until Dell resolve the BIOS issue.

I also suggest you refer to this thread:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Q_27346697.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by FangZhou Chen Tuesday, January 27, 2015 2:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharma Monday, March 9, 2015 3:42 AM
    Friday, January 16, 2015 8:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Julian,

Just as you said, that is a Phoenix Technology. It would appear that the fault only happens on systems that have a Phoenix bios and the Phoenix fail safe technology. So far there is no other solution except for the workaround you have known until Dell resolve the BIOS issue.

I also suggest you refer to this thread:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Q_27346697.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by FangZhou Chen Tuesday, January 27, 2015 2:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharma Monday, March 9, 2015 3:42 AM
    Friday, January 16, 2015 8:43 AM
  • Hi Karen,

I have sent copies of this to Michael Dell after having a frank discussion with two Dell executives. They seem to be totally unable to realise that there is a problem and, basically, couldn't care less. You would have thought that, on finding that there was a problem, they would have sorted it years ago.

I await Michael Dell's response to me saying that the BIOS people need to investigate and sort the problem out, then update all Dell computer BIOSs and post on the net that they have done so.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:53 PM
  • I have had replies from Dell and, as far as they are concerned, they have no intention whatsoever of updating the Phoenix BIOS with Phoenix Failsafe to remove Failsafe. So, if you are getting greyed-out printers and Spool service giving 1813 errors Dell will not help.

It is noticeable that although Failsafe was withdrawn by Phoenix in 2010, Dell couldn't be bothered to remove it from their modified BIOS. Says something about the company's view of their customers, doesn't it!

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 1:47 PM
  • As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.  <o:p></o:p>

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.  <o:p></o:p>

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.  <o:p></o:p>

Thanks!<o:p></o:p>

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 9, 2015 3:42 AM