none
MS Project 2010 customizing duration field in hours RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem:
    My Schedule are defined in days (duration). This is ok, but I want for me a 2nd column with the duration calculated in hours. Is it possible?
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:52 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can show your duration in a separate field as hours.  Add a text field (Text1) to the table, right click on the field and select Custom Fields from the shortcut menu.  Click the Formula button and enter the following formula:

ProjDurConv([Duration],pjHours)

If you are assigning resources to your tasks - you may see the Work expressed in hours by adding the Work field to the table.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:55 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can show your duration in a separate field as hours.  Add a text field (Text1) to the table, right click on the field and select Custom Fields from the shortcut menu.  Click the Formula button and enter the following formula:

ProjDurConv([Duration],pjHours)

If you are assigning resources to your tasks - you may see the Work expressed in hours by adding the Work field to the table.

• SeemaHoleyavar --

You would need to create a custom field containing a formula to do the necessary calculation.  If it were me, I would use a custom Text field and rename it as something like Duration in Hours.  In that custom Text field, I would use the following formula:

([Duration])/60 & "h"

Also, when you create the custom Text field, be sure to select the Use Formula option in the Calculation for Task and Group Summary Rows section of the Custom Fields dialog.  Keep in mind that the preceding formula assumes an 8-hour working day.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Hi,

Good news, Dale's formula is independent of hours per day!

Greetings,

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:46 PM
  • I think both calculate the hours correctly - ignoring any differences in [Hours per day] setting.
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:11 PM
  • Thank you so much Dale.

The formula is good and works well as per my requirements.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:59 AM
  • Thank you Julie.
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:00 AM
  • You're welcome.
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:06 PM
  • SeemaHoleyavar --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:15 PM