Mail app on Windows 8 RTM doesn't show contact suggestion RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all!

I've a serious problem on more PCs with Windows 8 RTM and with different Microsoft Accounts. Mail app doesn't give me contact suggestions when I type in the address box of a new mail... Also Share/Mail has that issue... :

I've tryed to uninstall and reinstall the suite, but no luck... :-\

Can you help me? Thanks!

More details...

• PC 1 / Windows 8 Enterprise x64 / .ISO "A"/ Problem: Yes
    • PC 2 / Windows 8 Pro x64 / .ISO "B" / Problem: No
    • PC 3 / Windows 8 Pro x64 / .ISO "B" / Problem: Yes
    • PC 4 / Windows 8 Pro x64 / .ISO "B" / Problem: Yes
    • PC 5 / Windows 8 Pro x64 / .ISO "C" / Problem: Yes

Sunday, September 23, 2012 11:52 AM

Answers

• Hello,

The latest version of the Mail update should address this, make sure you at version 1016 of the mail app

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:56 PM
  • I'm still having trouble with getting contacts to auto suggest in the windows 8 mail,people,calender, and Messaging apps from the app store.

It may help if you describe exactly what you are seeing and what you expect.   For example, "auto suggest" could imply that you expect a search to occur completely automatically without having to press Enter.   FWIW I see the People app search starting automatically by typing but requiring an Enter to see results.   In fact, I'm slightly surprised that I can get an automatic search started simply by typing instead of having to press Win-Q or use the Search charm to start it.   That seems slightly quirky to me.   For example, Touch only or pen users cannot get that effect; they must start their searches explicitly.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:41 PM

All replies

• It works fine in my test PC (under Virtualbox).

Note that I have NOT installed any other desktop mail client like live essential etc.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Hi,

I test on my machine and it works also.

Does this Windows 8 machine upgrade form Windows 7 or clean install?

Try to reinstall Mail app for test. You can remove form Metro Start and install it from App Store.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 24, 2012 5:23 AM
  • Hi,

I test on my machine and it works also.

Does this Windows 8 machine upgrade form Windows 7 or clean install?

Try to reinstall Mail app for test. You can remove form Metro Start and install it from App Store.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

No upgrade from Windows 7: clean installation for all the 5 PCs...

Moreover I've altready tryed to uninstall and reinstall Mail/Calendar/People/Messaging with no luck... :-\

Monday, September 24, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Hello all!

I've a serious problem on more PCs with Windows 8 RTM and with different Microsoft Accounts. Mail app doesn't give me contact suggestions when I type in the address box of a new mail... Also Share/Mail has that issue... :

I've tryed to uninstall and reinstall the suite, but no luck... :-\

Can you help me? Thanks!

More details...

• PC 1 / Windows 8 Enterprise x64 / .ISO "A"/ Problem: Yes
    • PC 2 / Windows 8 Pro x64 / .ISO "B" / Problem: No
    • PC 3 / Windows 8 Pro x64 / .ISO "B" / Problem: Yes
    • PC 4 / Windows 8 Pro x64 / .ISO "B" / Problem: Yes
    • PC 5 / Windows 8 Pro x64 / .ISO "C" / Problem: Yes

Ho lo stesso problema con la versione ENTERPRISE
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 5:37 AM
  • Ho lo stesso problema con la versione ENTERPRISE

It's better if you talk in english... ;-)

Windows 8 Enterprise x86 or x64?

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:19 AM
  • Any news? Can someone from the staff forward the problem to the dev team of the Mail app?
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:00 AM
  • I've the same problem with Windows 8 PRO x64 MSDNAA version.
    Friday, September 28, 2012 7:50 PM
  • I haven't this problem, but it is very serious

Saturday, September 29, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Also with the latest updates for Mail, Calendar, People and Messages (out on 09-10-2012) I'haven't fixed the problem... Can someone from the staff alert the dev team?
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:20 AM
  • I've just started seeing this problem since the windows mail updates came through this weekend (the GA updates).  

I'm seeing an error that my contacts do not have any email addresses when clicking "+" on the To: address field in email.  Even though I have >100 contacts with emails and this was working fine before the app updates.

Installing the windows update ga package hasn't fixed it either.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:07 PM
  • I have the same problem after the last update :(
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:07 PM
  • Uff, ihave the same problem after the last update
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:36 PM
  • After the last update, I have the same problem here!!! #pleasefixsoon

Vito Macina | Microsoft Certified IT Professional

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:22 AM
  • solved. I removed and reinstalled the app from the store. Now interacts properly with the contacts app
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:26 AM
  • solved. I removed and reinstalled the app from the store. Now interacts properly with the contacts app

Tip not working for me. Tryed today for the second time.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:58 PM

Tip not working for me. Tryed today for the second time.

After the last update I have the same issue.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:02 PM
  • I've the same problem with Windows 8 PRO x64 MSDNAA version.

I have it too.

What happens is that the contact apps is broken and doesn't share contacts email.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Same problem after update.

"solved" uninstalling and reinstalling the Whole package.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:12 PM
  • Hi!

After the update of some days ago, Windows 8's People Hub doesn't give me contact suggestion when I type email address in Mail App or other App that try to get contact information (eg. phone number, home address, ...).

This is a very big problem.

Screenshot is in Italian

• Edited by sorge13248 Sunday, October 14, 2012 4:51 PM
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 4:50 PM
  • Hi!

After the update of some days ago, Windows 8's People Hub doesn't give me contact suggestion when I type email address in Mail App or other App that try to get contact information (eg. phone number, home address, ...).

This is a very big problem.

Screenshot is in Italian

Uninstall & reinstall the apps, this should fix the issue.
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 5:04 PM
  • Uninstall & reinstall the apps, this should fix the issue.
    Not for me and other users... (^^^)
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 6:58 PM
  • uninstall - reinstall did not solve the issue for me, too. however, a uninstall - reboot - reinstall sequence finally solved the issue. you might want to try this.

________________ drahnier

Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:11 PM
  • I have the same issue with both the 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 8 Enterprise version.
    Monday, October 15, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Finally...

Windows 8 Enterprise x64 - Issue in Mail: reinstalling Mail didn't fix it, also after Mail and Windows 8 October's updates (that for some users brokes their working fine Mail).

Formatted and installed Windows 8 Pro x64 - No issue after format (with the same account), but it reppeared after the two October's updates. I fixed by uninstalling Mail, restarting Windows 8, and reinstalling Mail (that on Enterprise didn't worked)... This helps me...

Monday, October 15, 2012 10:55 PM
  • This solution have fixed the problem, but I read in this topic that other people have this problem that appear to be seriously!
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:34 PM
  • A new update for the Mail app is now available on the Store.

Did it fix the issue for you?

Sunday, October 21, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Hello,

The latest version of the Mail update should address this, make sure you at version 1016 of the mail app

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Hello,

I'm on version 1016 of the mail app and still have the problem on my pc running Windows 8 pro which I upgraded from Windows 7.
    Friday, November 2, 2012 8:52 PM
  • I'm still having trouble with getting contacts to auto suggest in the windows 8 mail,people,calender, and Messaging apps from the app store.  Also,  why does it say that it's 2 apps when there looks to be 4 apps?  I've tried to uninstall and re-install rebooting and all that.  I wonder if maybe I'm not uninstalling everything as my settings all come back the way they were, Pinned contact to the start screen and everything.  when uninstalling the application is there more then just right clicking on it and selecting the uninstall icon on the bottom of the screen?  My Brother purchased a laptop with windows 8 installed and his works great!  mine is a windows 7 hi-end laptop that I downloaded and updated to windows 8.  I've already tried to do a clean install of windows 8 although this made no difference to the auto suggestion problem.  I have only read comments about people who have the problem and others who say to uninstall and re-install.  It would be incredibly helpful if someone could take the time to list a step by step on how to fix this or at least point me and others in the write direction.

Please and Thank you.

Merry Christmas

Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:07 AM
  • No way! I could not repair it . my second machine working correctly, but this one isn't suggesting contacts :( how bad!
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 11:11 AM
  • I'm still having trouble with getting contacts to auto suggest in the windows 8 mail,people,calender, and Messaging apps from the app store.

It may help if you describe exactly what you are seeing and what you expect.   For example, "auto suggest" could imply that you expect a search to occur completely automatically without having to press Enter.   FWIW I see the People app search starting automatically by typing but requiring an Enter to see results.   In fact, I'm slightly surprised that I can get an automatic search started simply by typing instead of having to press Win-Q or use the Search charm to start it.   That seems slightly quirky to me.   For example, Touch only or pen users cannot get that effect; they must start their searches explicitly.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:41 PM