Black Screen white mouse pointer RRS feed

• Question

• I have a relatively new dell xps notebook that recently started behaving strangely after an automatic update .  This is a machine that updated to SP1 some time ago.  I did a system restore to a earlier point and now I have the black screen of death on boot. All looks normal but you never arrive at the login screen. The pointer is alive and active but nothing works...except sticky keys, thanks...that helps a lot. You can try ALL boot options with the same result...BSOD. No safe mode, no safe mode with command prompt, nothing but BSOD.  Even "last known good config" yields the same result...apparently because vista thinks the current config is working fine.

You can boot into the recovery environment.  You can ask windows to repair any startup issues, the repair completes and the log shown no errors repaired, last boot successful.  As far as vista is concerned, it thinks it's booting successfully...and maybe it is.  But I can't use it. You can access system restore from there, and pick a different restore point and now the process never completes...it hangs on finalizing...just spins its wheels for hours.  Never completes and reboots.  When you force a reboot, it has not restored.  In the same environment I tried to do a vista upgrade vs. install in the hopes that it would install on top of itself like xp and others...but alas that options not available since my current version is SP1 and my restore version isn't.  Thanks again MS.

Through the repair environment, I can get to taskmgr and to a command prompt and can browse the drive and file structure just fine. All seems fine and intact.  I even ran chkdsk but all remains the same. I can run quite a few apps from the command line...except, I tried to access msconfig but it says I need admin rights...which I have,  but if I try to login to the recovery environment as Admin, it says the account has been disabled.

I can access regedit, but the registry that shows up is the one from the restore partition on my drive...not the one that is used for normal boot.  The restore/registry does not show explorer as the shell...it uses cmd.exe /k start cmd.exe...changing that to explorer does nothing.  Regedit seems like a dead end.

I've tried to run explorer as a new task from task mgr
    and I get "the ordinal 874 could not be located in the dynamic link library shell32.dll"

If a serious blunder occured on my part, I might understand the need to do a fresh install and wipe out my data...but nothing could be further from the truth.  Well...a serious blunder probably did occur, it just wasn't me that made it.  Truth is, a lot of people seem to have the EXACT same problem and no one seems to have a simple solution.

I search the web and find it seems this is somewhat common and isn't all that new, which is very sad.  It's sadder still that that there doesn't seem to be any easy solution even after all this time...except to reinstall windows.  You'd think that a couple of nifty utilities would have been built into SP1 to address this, or perhaps some 3rd party propeller head solution.   I've been a vista defender, but I'm starting to rethink my position.  And I guess the shame is that after all this time there seems to be nothing official from MS.  Lots of forums with wild speculation about issues that cause this problem...it seems like someone from Redmond could at least man up and say "there is no fix but to reinstall" or "it's a problem that we are looking at" or "here are your alternatives"...instead we have silence.  This sucks.

Any assistance would be appreciated greatly...I've spent 12+ hours on this and so far have gone nowhere.  I'll be happy to exchange email, phone calls...anything...Help!

Update...since it doesn't look like the cavalry is anywhere on the horizon, I am starting to investigate back up tools that will run from the command prompt.  Any suggestions.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:46 PM

Answers

•  

Hi RDHarris, I fully understand the inconvenience you have encountered. can you review the latest installed update via Automatic Updates via Control Panel – Windows Update – View update history?  You can also try to remove the latest installed updates via Programs and Features.

Meanwhile, to troubleshoot BSOD crash issues, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, December 26, 2008 8:14 AM
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:24 AM

All replies

•  

Hi RDHarris, I fully understand the inconvenience you have encountered. can you review the latest installed update via Automatic Updates via Control Panel – Windows Update – View update history?  You can also try to remove the latest installed updates via Programs and Features.

Meanwhile, to troubleshoot BSOD crash issues, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, December 26, 2008 8:14 AM
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:24 AM
  • Hi RDHarris...u have explained my EXACT problem. I have been tinkering around with my Toshiba Satellite Laptop running Vista Home Premium SP1 that is giving me the same symptoms. It all started after an automatic update gone wrong.... I have tried everything and have been putting off the re-format. uhgh.

Wondering what you ended up doing with your dell notebook. Did you ever find a fix?? Hope to hear from you, Thanks - Tania
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:04 PM
  • I just started having the same problem. I've tried to do a system restore with no success. For some reason doing that has prevented me from doing a factory restore (PC does not recognise the  HP BIOS command on boot anymore) I've been able to do a fair amount from DOS but I can't seem to fix the issue since Vista doesn't seem to have one. With XP, there was a command to rebuild the boot sector from an install disc. I tried the FIXBOOT command from the prompt but it's not recongnised in Vista. Is there a similar fix that does work?
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:52 PM