none
Deleting ADM templates

Question

• Hi,
     We've recently implemented a group policy central store which works fine. We have multiple sites, around 25 DCs (a mixture of 2008 DCs and 2012 R2 DCs). All of our clients are Windows 7 or later, however we have some Windows 2003 servers. I want to remove the old ADM templates found in AD. From what I've read the following is true:

1. If you delete the ADM files from a GPO (e.g. deleting conf.adm from \\Contoso.local\SYSVOL\Contoso.local\Policies\{1B09B697-1363-4D04-397D-BEFE91C697EE}\Adm) all you'll lose, worse case scenario, is the ability to manage the GPO settings which belonged to conf.adm. In most cases this shouldn't be an issue as newer ADMX templates will supersede the ADM. 

Is it true that deleting ADM templates has 0 impact on clients which process group policy?

2. I'd like to run the script below to clean up SYSVOL and reclaim some space, but wanted to check that it's not likely to cause an issue.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Removing-ADM-files-from-b532e3b6#content

Thanks
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:21 PM

Answers

• >  Is it true that deleting ADM templates has 0 impact on clients which process group policy?

Yes it is.

> 2. I'd like to run the script below to clean up SYSVOL and reclaim some space, but wanted to check that it's not likely to cause an issue.

There's no need for a script...

Del \\%userdomain%\Sysvol\%userdnsdomain%\policies\*.adm /s /f

will be absolutely sufficient :-)

Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:36 PM

All replies

• >  Is it true that deleting ADM templates has 0 impact on clients which process group policy?

Yes it is.

> 2. I'd like to run the script below to clean up SYSVOL and reclaim some space, but wanted to check that it's not likely to cause an issue.

There's no need for a script...

Del \\%userdomain%\Sysvol\%userdnsdomain%\policies\*.adm /s /f

will be absolutely sufficient :-)

Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:36 PM
  • Hi,
    Updating/changing ADMX files has no effect on existing GPOs, your existing GPOs will continue to be applied/processed exactly as before. ADMX/ADML files are used for display purposes, and only within the GPMC/GPME and the GPresult/RSoP toolsets, they are not used in any way during applying/processing of a GPO.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, March 17, 2017 7:55 AM